Legacy Aeris and amplification.

What is the best amplifier for the Legacy Aeris?
tmcdade

Wait! What? You're going to a custom Legacy "monitor" sub combo? You don't sit still for too long, do you?  :)

We must talk, give me a call when you have time!

Doug,

It was great to speak with you last week and catch up after many months of focusing on life, work and other 'stuff' in life (and getting past it)!

Yes, I have worked with Bill to put together what is one unique speaker setup customized to an idea I had after hearing just how amazing the Caliber XDs were with Wavelet in and off themselves and knowing the ground-breaking advancements in the latest bass/sub-bass cabinet designs from Legacy (Goliath and more recently FOUNDATION, true monsters of very musical, accurate and yet 'pits of hell' bass and sub-bass with amazing control).

Here is what I have running now for about 270 hours as of today....

Bill's answer to my queries are a  'Caliber XD Custom' for me which adds the following to Caliber XD;

- an extra woofer so 2 in place of the default 1, 1 each side-firing left and 1 right
- a large passive radiator on top
- DUAL 750w ICE amps internally
- DUAL XLR inputs
- a redesigned back plate with dual speaker binding posts to the tweeter section only
- a pair of Legacy FOUNDATION subs (to my hearing these rival REL G25 MK2s and JL Audio 212 and Gotham); 1000W of ICE amplification in each FOUNDATION
- new Wavelet algorithm sets to allow Wavelet to drive every driver set individually and treat the woofers in the Calibers as woofers or mid-woofers depending upon whether the Caliber XD "Custom" was utilized by itself or in unison with the FOUNDATIONs
- all 8 outputs on the Wavelet live to accomplish this, only one external amp needed to drive the tweeter section
- new Wavelet algorithms for 'steering' taken from Bill's wealth of experience in the pro-audio world together with Wavelet's Time and Frequency RoomEQ algorithms...
- ability to add Stereo Unfold algos to this setup based upon lessons learned from VALOR design, to be added in the future...
- the customized Calibers weigh in at about 80lbs each...
- result: 96db efficient speaker setup, 16Hz-30kHz FLAT in-room with bass on pipe organ and synth popping out well below that; I HAVE to get our REW and measure...
- Using thick sorbothane pucks for now to perch and isolate the Calibers on top of the foundations and an Adona shelf under each FOUNDATION to couple this stack to the floor and yet allow the massive passive radiator on bottom of each bass cabinet the room to do its job and breath freely...

*This was one huge experiment and there were many refinements on the overall design, driver complement, algorithms, etc...but in the end the last week has been nothing short of eye-opening. I believe that I have much more 'speaker' here than even I thought I would have at the beginning. I've been off the boards as this is one of the most fun and musical speaker setups that I've ever had, bar none and I keep finding myself getting off the computer and back in front of an around the speakers!

From day 1 and better each day I've experienced amazing imaging, soundstaging, musical playback and realism are all up there with the best I've heard. Friends have already stopped by including one well-known power cable, interconnect and speaker cable designer who lives about an hour from here; all have been amazed at the overall result of this chance taken that resulted in one hell of a unique set of speakers.

Very happy and wound up with alot more 'speaker' here than I hoped for!

I’m dying to see this setup. Have you posted pictures anywhere?

Edit:
Just checked your system and saw the new speakers. Awesome, congratulations!
Pictures of new Legacy speaker project and system up and running here at the house posted yesterday here;

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5078