Opinions on Full-Range/single driver speakers

I am considering a DIY project to build a pair of single driver speakers. My current idea is to put Jordan JX9s into Transmission line cabinets. I am a competent woodworker and there are lots of plans on the internet.

I do really value the opinions of you audiogon members out there with lots of listening experience so I am curious what your opinions are on single driver speakers. If you can also comment on wide-baffle versus narrow baffle designs, that would be helpful.

My front end is a Monarchy tube DAC 25 with Matsushista tubes and DIP Classic, coupled to an AYRE DX7E, all interconnects and cables are DIY magnet wire. I am currently using Green Mountain Europa's and a modified Paradigm subwoofer.

After enjoying GMA's and experiencing time/phase coherent sound, I started looking at other options for coherent systems. It seems the simplest design is a good full range driver (no whiffle cone) in a TL or QWL cabinet.

So your opinions are appreciated. I would prefer if you did not advise me to purchase your favorite speaker as that is not the type of information I am seeking.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Drew.
drewh1
Dear John,

From reading your response, I would have to agree that I have not heard many single driver speakers. You have the upper hand when it comes to that. Seems though, that may be your only advantage. Let me know when you have graduated from "Not Making fun of People Academy"...then myself and possibly others will deem it worthwhile to respond to your cutesy remarks.

Sincerely,

(so as to help you out...)

Apequark.
looks like an older post restarted. One thought for the author of this. to get sound pressure at any freq to the listener the cone needs to move at that freq and for a fixed area of driver the excursion needs to alter. Think volume of air moved. In this scenario add the equation F=ma (force = mass x acceleration) so for really fast freqs (big a) you want a small m to keep the force down. ie if you take a big driver and run 15K hz you will likely need small excursion but you will be driving it at silly high accelerations and have enormous force. Converse is true as well. A tweeter can drive at very high freqs and have lower force as it is very small but to get the SPL and still be small (= small area) you would need crazy high excursion. its all an engineering tradeoff driven by F=ma. I think this is why the bose 2.5 inch driver in many of their products has no bottom or top, just middle.
I feel I can chip into this subject with somebody doubting the credibility of JohnK's knowledge.I am one exceedingly happy owner of a pair of Johnk's Oris 150 horn speakers, I must say I doth my cap to John, as he certainly knows his onions when it comes to speakers and cones, and makes damn fine speakers for silly money really compared to more commercial speakers, one only has to look at his very satisfied customers that he has made speakers for, as I mentioned sound to buck ratio the absolute best value out there.I truly love my Oris's and the F200a is one seriously good mid range driver (as in my case) and have no desire to change them, they are keepers.
I will also chime in here defending JohnK's knowledge about speakers. I comissioned John to build me a pair of large monitor speakers using a Seas Exotic driver and a Raal ribbon tweeter. Not only is the speaker cabinet as solid as a rock but I have a world class speaker without spending a fortune. Easy to drive, my 300b amp (8 watts)sounds like a power house muscle amp with these speakers. I have not heard every monitor speaker but I have heard some of the highly touted names (ie: advertised brands) and my KCS speakers will hold their own with anything I have heard.
Some full range speakers can sound surprisingly incoherent. Just because there is only one driver insight, you shouldn't assume perfect impulse. I heard one pair at a dealers with tiny a 4 inch driver in a rear hornloaded enclosure and it sounded like cheap stereo, and they were actually selling for over 6000 dollars. At first I thought that they sounded pretty impressive being having such tiny drivers but then I started hearing muddy bass and peaky highs. Totally not worth the hassle, most fullrange drivers are not in phase throughout their range and the bass loading usually usually messes up the otherwise perfect impulse response. You will be better off with multi driver DSP/ time corrected or coaxial designs.