Help: Devore O/96 Integrated Amp + DAC suggestion

Hello Devore O/96 owners.

I was very fortunate to be able to purchase a set of O/96s earlier this year, and I'm trying to build out the rest of my system to truly complement these speakers the way they deserve.  I've read many of the posts and reviews across the standard sites and forums, and, while I've found some great information, I could really use some custom opinions based on your experience.  I greatly appreciate any and all thoughts, and my apologies for the long winded setup, but I want to be as specific as possible

I'm all digital via Tidal and FLAC through Audirvana+, and my system currently consists of an Audio Note Oto SE Signature with an Arcam IRDAC and Zu Audio Mission MK1 cables throughout.  My room is approximately 14x22ft. with 12ft. ceilings.

When I'd originally heard the O's in the store, they were driven by a Nagra Classic w/ Nagra DAC.  The sound was literally the most engaging thing I've ever heard...It was electric, punch-you-in-the-gut amazing and had warmth and depth into the music.  The drum reproduction and snap alone had me, and, while I had no intention of spending that much on speakers, after hearing them, I couldn't not buy them.

Bringing them home, I'd originally paired them with a Naim Nait 5i as a holdover from my original Neat Acoustics system, and it was a poor fit.  The sound was incredibly flat...It felt as though the musicians could not have been further away from my listening room.  After reading Rafe's review in Part-Time Audiophile and his thoughts on the AN OTO SE as a match, the fates aligned and I received an incredible deal on a used Signature version.  After plugging into the system, the sound instantly became more engaging.  A richness is present in both the voices and the strings that was missing, and I would say there is definitely more in the way of dynamics.  That said, I feel like (1) I'm still missing significant drum dynamics/snap, (2) when volume increases to approx noon, the sound almost flattens (pushing a 10 w amp too far?), and (3) in complex pieces - orchestral and rock, there is a bit of muddling.

I have a $5k budget for tweaking/replacing, and I'm a huge proponent of used components.  Ideally, with consideration for both space and the budget, I'd like to stay with an integrated amp.  My targeted questions would be:

(1) Is the AN OTO SE Sig sufficient and the DAC the culprit, and, if so, which DAC makes the most sense to achieve what I'm looking for.  Would a AN 3.1, Lampizator, or Border Patrol be the "final" piece? 

(2) While I like the AN, would I be better off replacing both the amp and DAC, and what would marry well? LM 518ia or 508ia/Leben/Shindo Appetite, etc. with one of the above? (several articles on amps with O/96, but none I've seen on amp + dac synergy)

Unfortunately, while Chicago has a tremendous amount of great shops, there's nowhere to listen to any of the aforementioned brands, so I'm heavily reliant on outside opinion.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read this and for your thoughts and consideration.  

wallace79
I've had really good success using the ARC Ref75SE which seems to tame the long-throw woofs well on my Gibbon Xs.

I use a Music First TVC passive, so costs about same as a top flight integrated amplifier.

Wallace,
From all indications that I’m aware of the Lampizator Atlantic SE  is a definite step up from your well regarded Lampy 4 GEN 4 model.Given your current satisfaction (amplifier and speakers) I believe the Atlantic SE would be a very reasonable and wise upgrade with excellent bang for the buck if obtained used.
Lampy 4 Gen4 + ARC REF 75 SE
Or
Atlantic SE+Audio Note OTO amp.
Two very good choices 😊. Based on your update comments I'd probably choose the latter.
Good luck, 
Charles 
+1 charles1dad

The Lampizator Atlantic SE is hands down the best DAC I have ever owned, a significant improvement over the Lampi Big Six, which is also excellent.

@wallace79 -- There is an Atlantic SE currently for sale, at a screaming good deal. I sent you some background information on it via private message.
Hi Walter,
The significant aspect regarding the Atlantic is it utilizes some key  features of the esteemed Golden Gate DAC (such as directly heated tubes and copper foil capacitors) and also used the power supply of the Lite 7 DAC. The Atlantic was a major shift upwards from the very good Lampizator 4,5 and 6 series. The Atlantic resides in a higher tier.

In terms of amplifiers certainly increased power has some advantages depending on the specific circumstances. The AN OTOSignature in terms of sound quality won’t be easy to exceed. It’s a time honored design pure class A  and utilizes the excellent AN double C core output transformers. I understand why Wallace is so impressed with its sound. 
Charles
I came to this thread searching on Devore, and also found the Lampi. I have been a long time owner of Lampi and own the Golden Gate (with Jupiter caps). The GG sounds best with KR 242, KR PX25, or the special Lampi 45s depending on the rest of the system chain - rolling the tubes changes the output so the way it couples to the preamp. If you get this right, your system will take off to new levels. The GG is far superior to the Atlantic if you are listening to complex material, like orchestral. Also to the Big 7. The dynamic range, resolution, and macro dynamics are much more. I have compared the GG to the Vivaldi, Big 7 to the Trinity, to the 40k Aries Cerat, the top Nagra dac and transport, and to multiple Esoterics K01s. Also once to the MSB Select II. I preferred it to all. But I had to roll tubes, as with the wrong tube it sounded less good. This is the beauty - the other dacs were static, while the GG could change. The Atlantic imo can be beaten by higher priced dacs though it is a good valve dac. The GG is much more than that. Now, the thing is, I also prefer it to the Lampi Pacific. The Pacific is a very different dac and some of my friends upgraded, but I find it to be a very different sound not to my liking. So for me GG is the final piece.. The other good digital I like is Neodio Origine, MSB, Aries Cerat, and Total Dac.

Now to the Devore. After being a fan of big horns, and having heard many from vintage Western Electrics and Siemens Bionor to 400k Cessaros and more practical 30k hORNs Universum and Tune Audio Anima, I never liked compromised models of full range horns - the ones with a digital woofer like Duos, Cessaro Liszt, etc. The full ranges were either expensive or very big (for a central London apt) or both.

I then came across the Devore Orangutan O96 and loved them. I have heard Trenner and Friedl Ra, AN J, Tannoys, but the O96 are my current favorites as a compromise to big horns. In fact, I don’t like cones and preferred them to a 20k and a 65k Lansche in the same room. The reason is that the O96 is more transparent to recordings. I haven’t bought them yet and am investigating. I heard them in one room with New Audio Frontiers (NAF) 2a3 8w amp, a German 550 valve 20w amp, a Jadis 100w integrated, and the Silvercore 833c 20w amp. I heard them in another room with the Kondo Overture 30w EL34 integrated (30k euro) and the Unison research Triode 25.

My favorite by far was the NAF. It also is cheap on the used market, at least in the EU. I think the Art Audio 300b Diavolo will also do well though I have not heard it on the Devore, but have compared Art Audio amps on another speaker. It sounds best with the WE reissue compared to the KR, Elrog or EML mesh.

If you are into recordings and transparency to recordings, the NAF is the easy pick. If you want more power and speed the Jadis is pretty good. However compared to the NAF it makes different notes on a violin or a piano sound more similar. The 2a3 is more nuanced tube, after all. That said, this is only with relevance to the Devore...I do not think the NAF is a fast 2a3 amp like for example the Audio Note Empress, but that is 6w and I do not know if it suits the Devore. It is not an integrated either. The NAF is more SS like...clean, good drive, transparent, backward layering, makes speakers disappear. I am normally a fan of greater power but not here. I also want to try Berning on this, and the Ayon. I am due a compare of Ayon, Jinro, and Kegon soon but on AN J, not Devore.

I would like to hear it with the Shindo. Caelin, the man behind Shunyata, owns the O96 and has tried it with everything from Constellation Centaur to Ayon SET amps and says it sounds good with all.