Anyone compared GoldenEar Triton 7 with Triton Reference?

Hi folks -- newbie here.

Has anyone compared GoldenEar Triton 7s with GoldenEar Triton References?

Asking because I have Triton 7s + subwoofer, and am looking to upgrade. So I auditioned [7’s + subwoofer] and References side by side at 2 different dealers, playing my own music, and switching back and forth repeatedly between the two sets. To my ears, the References provided maybe 40% bigger soundstage, and maybe 5-10% better detail and clarity. This was surprising to me, given the large difference in price points: $8.5K for Reference vs. maybe $3K for Triton 7 + sub. (Maybe my ears aren’t experienced enough to appreciate the differences...?)

Has anyone directly compared the 7s and Refs in similar listening environments? How did you think they compared?  (How much better did you think the Refs were...?)

Thanks!
otinkyad
Would you additionally be willing to give your thoughts on the technical description of the Spatial M3 Triode Masters?
  • They would not be my choice as they rear radiate from 800Hz [700Hz in the spec?]. I prize imaging, not sonic wall paper.
  • 800Hz is not a low frequency for crossover to 15" woofers.
  • Not a 'point-source.' The two woofers are well displaced and the while the mid is on the axis of one of the woofers, it's firing in the opposite direction, a couple of feet from the other.
  • Phase response is likely to be poor as the mid driver acoustic center is several inches behind the woofers'.
  • I fail to see how dispersion can be limited to 80° when both sides of the woofers are open.
Pass based on my preferences and engineering principles.

@ieales -- thanks for your input. BTW, in case it’s of interest to you, I just found a video where the Spatial Audio designer explains things in a way that was more understandable to me than what’s on the Spatial website: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPPD5RJvag

@jackd -- Thanks for the additional information. I did see another rant in an entirely different place with almost identical wording to the one at AC -- not sure what’s going on with that poster(s). BTW, I definitely would like to hear more about your listening impressions of the M3TM and Nola KO.  Would you be willing to post them here? -- I think they would be interesting to many, especially as it seems difficult to find a lot of first-hand knowledge about either of these speakers. Or I could PM you if you prefer.
Just sticking my nose in here. I have Triton 1s and have NEVER found the sweet spot constrained. Quite the opposite.
@secretguy — Thanks for the information.  It seems like most people with Goldenear Tritons don’t find the sweet spot constricted, although of course some do, as mentioned on this thread.  I myself haven’t felt that issue with the 7s — just looking for bigger sound. 

So do you like your Triton 1s?  I think I saw a thread somewhere from July where you were “trying” to like them...
This is in response to Winefix's post:

I guess I'm a little confused with your post about the cheap parts used In GoldenEar Tref's but mention in the next paragraph how your spatials use cheap eminence woofers? And some  kind of French driver's? Am I to believe that the cheap parts in the GE's aren't capable of producing a quality sound such as the cheap eminence driver?

Could you elaborate on the cheap parts in the GE's, I'd like to know who builds the GE driver's and crossovers. 

I myself am looking for two channel mains. I've never owned GE, I don't work for them either, I've never even heard one.

But I have been doing research, and again I am confused about the GE's, all of the audio shows I've watched that have GE listening rooms have the Tref's in two channel setups with seemingly impressed audiophile audiences, so if what you are saying is correct why would any of the audiophiles present even consider listening to these cheaply made house sound speakers and expect anything of use in two channel offerings?

Certainly they know as much as you do pertaining to audiophile parts?

I am a noob in the two channel arena and my questions mean no disrespect, just gleaning knowledge where I can.