Denon DL 103 modifications and re-body questions thread

Dear all

I bought a DL103r to see what the fuss is all about, and found it fairly pleasant. Many people go on about re-bodying the cartridge so I took the plunge and bought an aluminium body.

I have noticed a few threads that are a bit disparate on these questions - the first question on my list being what I needed answered, but it would be helpful if thoughts can be posted on the other questions from those with the know how.

1. Should I glue the cartridge into the new body
2. What glue should I use
3. What are the characteristics of the various materials
4. Should I re-tip
5. What sort of new tip
6. who should I get to re-tip
7. Best arm matches
8. best tracking weight

lohanimal
LOL! I like the idea of modding Lambretta scooter like that too
Hey- I had a TV175 - bored out to 225cc and had go faster green metallic and white paintwork with a tuned (read loud) exhaust and chrome backrest - oh, and a 6ft whip antenna !

Compared to today’s machines It went like a cow with a tailwind :-)

Moving on... I found the Soundsmith modified 103 to be a fine cartridge for a reasonable price - mine cost me around $600.

To tweak or not to tweak is a personal approach and may affect resale value (depending on the buyer)

Personally I do not buy resale carts of any kind.

Because as Forest gump said...
"Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get."
@chakster Many Thanks for the Lambretta comment - memories came flooding back :-)

Cheers

Interesting discussion.  High impedance circuits are more susceptible to noise caused by oscillation, I do know that.  I would not have thought that the difference in Z between an MM "circuit" and a LOMC one would make much difference to noise generation.

Rob, Mitch Cotter or any other guru can write a book on the subject, but in the end we all have to use our ears.  If he came down in favor of SUTs, then one can cite other "authorities" of similar stature who come down on the other side. Anyway, I was more talking about "noise" in response to Dover's assertion.
An alternative is an aluminum body cap. It slides over the stock body, bolts on, and can be removed and re-used. It's a much less expensive option than many options listed above.

https://www.denonaluminumbody.com
First of alI I really appreciate the responses on this thread, as it has answered my own query, but I believe it will benefit many others.

In terms of myself - I am gonna get a generic aluminium body for now if things get better - I will take it from there. I always consider value in the context of the price of other carts and I have a hankering for a Benz LP - which is probably far better putting my money towards (a different thread and topic).

I like the idea of an everyday workaday cartridge that I am not going to have a nervous breakdown over in the event of damage. Not only that but I sometimes find that, as with music, its sometimes better to hear something easy and inviting before going and listening to the detail once my ears tune in. 

I know many say that Denon ought to make the 103 with a better body, but arguably, its absence off such a better body may well be helping to drive sales - how? The likes of 'Zu' have helped put thee 103 back on the map so to speak (I would not have considered a 103 had it not been for potential mods). The plastic body has created a mini tweakers industry.

Out of interest - how about any responses about which new body to buy?

1. Zu
2. Muskraft
3. Audiotechne
4. Basic generic
5. ... others...?

btw - without wishing to put any noses out of joint @hdm wrote a superb post