Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
@mattnshilp , thread followers, and thread contributors:  I'm experiencing some 'curious' results and would like your thoughts and opinions.

This thread is primarily about impact / results when a DAC is changed.

I'm finding that changes to my system are bringing more than significant results while keeping, what would be considered a 'basic' DAC, by the metrics applied in this thread, static. 

Anyways, it's making me question the logic of DAC changes in 'static systems' vs a 'static DAC' in a 'dynamic system.'

Hope I'm making myself clear.  Thanks.
David - no sane person (of which I am not one) would constantly change dacs like I have. But this thread discusses the only part of a hi end system whose technology actually affects a discernible change in advancement within a brief time. Thus, in my not normal opinion, the digital front end does need to be updated more regularly then anything else in the system.

That being said, even my system has been relatively static from a digital front end for quite some time. The Light Harmonic Davinci 2 and Memory Player combo is absolutely stunning. And it is VERY hard to coordinate in home auditions of any super expensive piece of equipment that could potentially dethrone one of my digital components.

So, yes David. For most cases keeping your core equipment static and fine tuning is the way to go. But that’s not what this particular thread is about. I am trying as much as I can to offer a comparison to everyone so they can pick what’s best for their system. Posts like AstroStar59 are ENORMOUSLY beneficial in that they offer even more experience with equipment I may have not heard. If others post opinions of equipment I have both heard and not heard, it allows me to comment intelligently as I have a reference upon which to judge their listening style since I know some of the equipment. 

Conside this thread a dac resource.

If you are looking for a more general audiophile resource, please subscribe to my YouTube channel: The Audiophile OCD

https://youtu.be/JAZdIBxycKE

Wow, I just realized I'm on my 5th DAC since this thread started. I rarely upgrade that often.  Never had until I met Matt...thanks a lot.  ;)....
My personal favorite SOTA DAC is the Totaldac d1-Twelve mk2 which is the one i will be purchasing next year for my rig.I also do like the Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref II which i auditioned twice.Lampizator Pacific DAC is also worth considering if your looking at top DACs.
Hi Thieliste,
No doubt that TotalDac model is true SOTA. Of all the uber tier DACs discussed here and elsewhere I find the Aries Cerat Kassandra extremely compelling. I just love the design concept and approach to this DAC. It just seems like the type of component that is meant to go directly and deep into one’s musical soul and communicate much passion and emotion. In my humble opinion products capable of achieving this are the most desirable. I haven’t heard it but I can appreciate astrostar’s comments. My gut feeling is this DAC  is the antithesis of clinical/analytical/sterile lifeless sound.
Charles