Anyone compared GoldenEar Triton 7 with Triton Reference?

Hi folks -- newbie here.

Has anyone compared GoldenEar Triton 7s with GoldenEar Triton References?

Asking because I have Triton 7s + subwoofer, and am looking to upgrade. So I auditioned [7’s + subwoofer] and References side by side at 2 different dealers, playing my own music, and switching back and forth repeatedly between the two sets. To my ears, the References provided maybe 40% bigger soundstage, and maybe 5-10% better detail and clarity. This was surprising to me, given the large difference in price points: $8.5K for Reference vs. maybe $3K for Triton 7 + sub. (Maybe my ears aren’t experienced enough to appreciate the differences...?)

Has anyone directly compared the 7s and Refs in similar listening environments? How did you think they compared?  (How much better did you think the Refs were...?)

Thanks!
otinkyad
@ieales
Thanks for your comments about Nola. I don’t have the knowledge like you do to identify spurious claims/jargon, but it did seem even to me that there was little technical information/measurements on that website to back up the statements made there.

Would you additionally be willing to give your thoughts on the technical description of the Spatial M3 Triode Masters? This is given at http://www.spatialaudio.us/m3-triode-master/ I ask because I’ve been getting interested in the M3 Triode Masters, but I don’t have the knowledge to evaluate what is stated there. In your opinion, does it seem technically coherent?

Also, there is a statement from someone on another forum, claiming that the parts in the M3 Triode Masters are off-the-shelf. This is from https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149584.140:

---- begin quote----
"...Did you not notice as soon as you saw the speakers in the M3 they were stamped frames??? That is a sign of cheap drivers....

The compression drivers in the M3 are the cheapest worst sounding 1" compression drivers their are they are the K mart blue light drivers of the speaker world LMFAO. Ok the 15" coaxial is actually two different brands the 15" frame is a Eminence it is a Beta 12cx and it is $79.99 at u guessed it US speakers http://www.usspeaker.com/beta12cx-1.htm It is a coaxial but takes a screw on 1" driver witch means you can use any 1" screw on driver you like you could even use a bolt on 1" driver with a screw on adapter. Now this is were it gets really funny the 1" compression driver Spatial uses is one of the cheapest made it is a china made P-Audio BM-D440s and it is a whopping $79.95 at you guessed it US speaker http://www.usspeaker.com/paudio%20bmd440Sseries%20ii-1.htm

The lower 15" in the M3 is a Eminence Delta 12LFA and it is $79.00 at US speakers http://www.usspeaker.com/Delta-12LFA-1.htm So your talking about $490.00 in drivers for the M3 and that is our cost. Spatial i am sure only have less than half that invested in each M3 after buying the drivers in bulk. Your review for these terrible sounding speakers was just glowing really made me laugh. Out of all the 15" coaxial speakers there are you liked the cheapest worst sounding combo on the planet. a similar designed Modified Altec Lansing 604’s and 605’s would embarrass these M3 and those Altec have been around since the 1940’s as would a similar designed speaker using Radian 15" coaxial or Beyma, Faital Pro, B & C . With so many really really nice sounding 15" coaxial drivers available why would Spatial use inferior Eminence & P-Audio drivers."
---- end quote ----

*IF* these statements about the sourcing of the M3 Triode Masters parts are correct, does that affect your evaluation of the M3 Triode Master technical description in any way?

As I said, I ask because I’ve been thinking about the M3 Triode Masters, and would like to be as informed as possible about the product before any purchase. I hope I’m not stirring up a hornet’s nest here, or bringing up an inappropriate type of evaluation.

Thanks!

@otinkyad 

I would suggest you ignore posts from people who have never heard much less seen the products you are asking about.  Blowhards quoting specs and spouting personal opinions are a dime a dozen.  If you want to know more about the two speakers PM me.
@otinkyad 

The Spatial's and the KO's are in two different systems so one did not replace the other.  As to the tirade from the poster on AC ( he has since been banned) this is typical of his post on multiple threads all involving the cost of items for sale.  He has no actual knowledge or experience with any of the products.
Would you additionally be willing to give your thoughts on the technical description of the Spatial M3 Triode Masters?
  • They would not be my choice as they rear radiate from 800Hz [700Hz in the spec?]. I prize imaging, not sonic wall paper.
  • 800Hz is not a low frequency for crossover to 15" woofers.
  • Not a 'point-source.' The two woofers are well displaced and the while the mid is on the axis of one of the woofers, it's firing in the opposite direction, a couple of feet from the other.
  • Phase response is likely to be poor as the mid driver acoustic center is several inches behind the woofers'.
  • I fail to see how dispersion can be limited to 80° when both sides of the woofers are open.
Pass based on my preferences and engineering principles.

@ieales -- thanks for your input. BTW, in case it’s of interest to you, I just found a video where the Spatial Audio designer explains things in a way that was more understandable to me than what’s on the Spatial website: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyPPD5RJvag

@jackd -- Thanks for the additional information. I did see another rant in an entirely different place with almost identical wording to the one at AC -- not sure what’s going on with that poster(s). BTW, I definitely would like to hear more about your listening impressions of the M3TM and Nola KO.  Would you be willing to post them here? -- I think they would be interesting to many, especially as it seems difficult to find a lot of first-hand knowledge about either of these speakers. Or I could PM you if you prefer.