The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions
I have 3 Class D amps in the house now that retail for $6000, $2000 and $75.    Guess what?   Even $75 buys a very good sounding Class D amp these days easily as  good or better than other older SS  amps costing several times that 40 years  ago. 

I use an ARC  tube pre-amp with the $6000 amps and yes very nice!  I will probably dump tubes altogether again though someday as I continue to downsize and discover viable alternatives. 

There's no stopping the Audiophile. I say Audiophile as opposed to HEA Audiophile. The audiophile mainstream is no longer associated with high price and heavy and is only going to increase in this direction, there's no turning back. I for one am thrilled, and say "about time". Well actually said "about time" in 1997 but if you talked like this back then it was too prophetic even though the insiders knew the change would have to come.

Michael Green

Post removed