TAD 150 Signature preamp remote sensor out?

Thought I'd check here before searching for options.,

Just doing some listening and it appears the TAD 150 remote sensor (in preamp) isn't responding. Bummer.

I check my remote using my cell camera and it appears to be working fine. I tried putting new batteries in..no response from the 150. Pressing the remote buttons, I get no response from the preamp when trying to change modes (CD, AUX, Phono..etc) and get not respnse when trying to change volume. 

Going on memory.. I seem to remember Paul??? the designer/manufacturer was in the Chicago area, but passed away some years back. He wouldn't have been too far away to run it down to him..but..

So..anyone have any tips on getting it up and running again?  Things I can troubleshoot myself or shops that are known to be good in the Milwaukee area?
fishboat
Just got back from a local audio shop that I've used previously.  Guy said the remote is working fine, sensor inside preamp is receiving and forwarding the signal fine.  The signal stops at some small logic controller that processes the remote control input.  No replacements available that he's aware of, nor how to program it if he did find it (if I understand what he was saying). 

I asked him to see if there's a way to bypass the controller, switch modes manually, and wire up a separate remote to the volume pot-motor.  He's going to look into it...

Barring that, I remember something about passive preamps that I possible could use to get the remote volume functionality back..anyone have any ideas?
I asked him to see if there's a way to bypass the controller, switch modes manually, and wire up a separate remote to the volume pot-motor. He's going to look into it...
Ask him if he can make use of this kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Assembled-Remote-ALPS-motor-Volume-control-preamplifier-board-Standby-board...

Thanks IMH. I'll bring this option up with him when I speak with him next week.

As a result of some searching last night I ID'd the Audiocubics R-Cube..looks like an option.  Any other popular (good quality) units like this?