Audio Note E Speaker Tweak: Easy Effective And Inexpensive

I wanted to share a quick, easy, tweak I’ve made to my old E-Ls. I’ve basically boxed in the tweeters with strips cut from a roll of jute mat, available from any carpet store. They’re held in place with blu-tak, so they can be easily removed.

At least in my system/room, the results have been remarkable. The sound is smoother, more coherent and more transparent, with lots of natural detail. I can hear the recording space and decay more clearly.

If you decide to try it, please post your results.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/TomBerry/8705A9AB-E436-4586-A811-051A068C187F_zpstuybpscn.jpe...

tommylion
My Snell Type E's (basically the same as the Audio Note E's) use wool strips around the dome tweeters to control dispersion. They do sound very nice!
Madisound sells felt rings for $2.

Wonder how these work vs using a square configuration?

“Madisound sells felt rings for $2.”

irish,

I saw those and thought about trying them, then I saw where someone said that parallel vertical strips work better. Maybe they do something similar to a diffraction grating? I tried those first, and then added the horizontal strips to complete the squares.

I like what the jute squares do so much, I’m not in a hurry to try anything else. If you try the Madisound rings, please report your results.