Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
Well as I don't think The Jimi Hendrix Experience qualifies as while Jimi was American, the Experience were English, and were formed in the UK. So International, although Band Of Gypsy's does qualify.

So an approximate Top 20:
Neil Young & Crazy Horse. Just an incredible Catalogue of work.Sonics Rendezvous Band. The Super talents of Fred "Sonic" Smith & Scott Morgan.The Stooges/Iggy & The Stooges.CCR- Brilliant at best, but a few average songs and some unnecessary Covers.MC5.The Sonics.Ramones.
Big Star.Blue Oyster Cult. First 5 Albums are sublime.Flamin' Groovies.Pixies.
The Replacements.Jason & The Scorchers. The Greatest Live Band I've ever experienced.
Spirit.Dead Moon.The Beach Boys with BRIAN.New York Dolls.The Dictators.Screaming Trees.Band Of Gypsys.
But then look who's left out: (In no particular order).
Heartbreakers. (Johnny Thunders).
Dead Boys.
The Byrds.Buffalo Springfield.The Allman Brothers Band.
The Band.
New Bomb Turks.Johnny Burnette & His Rock & Roll Trio.Love.13th Floor Elevators.Rocky Erickson & The Aliens.The Real Kids.
The Guess Who.Modern Lovers.Richard Hell & The Voidoids.The Gun Club.The Plimsouls.Television.Monster Magnet.Paul Revere & The Raiders.The Velvet Underground.Mountain.Mission Of Burma.The Posies.
Nirvana.
Steppenwolf.J.Giels Band.Devo. (early).Lynyrd Skynyrd.Drive By Truckers.Son Volt.Whiskeytown.Blondie.Talking Heads.TV On The Radio.Husker Du.Melvins.Black Flag.The Jim Carroll Band.The Georgia Satellites.Aerosmith (early).Little Feat.The Mono Men.The Dream Syndicate.Green On Red.The Long Ryders.The Chocolate Watch Band.Dramarama.Uncle Tupelo.REM. (Good early, then patchy).Funkadelic.Kyuss.
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.Sly & The Family Stone.The Bellrays.The Supersuckers.Deadstring Brothers.The Pontiac Brothers.Queens Of The Stone Age.Mazzy Star.The Tubes.Jefferson Airplane.Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels.Ween.ZZ Top.Wipers.Living Colour.The Chambers Brothers.Janes Addiction.Pere Ubu.Wall Of Voodoo.Dead Kennedy's.Red Kross.Luna.The Litter.Veruca Salt.L7.The Breeders.Fugazi.Weezer.Grant Lee Buffalo.Endless Boogie. (Awesome Live!)Luna.Moby Grape.X.James Gang.Alice In Chains.Sugar.Tommy James & The Shondells.The Cramps.Sloan.Billy Riley & The Little Green Men.Rocket From The Crypt.The Standells.Social Distortion.Wailers.Montrose.Raspberries.Velvet Crush.Wilco.

Speaking of rock and roll, Mother’s Finest with that Southern rock aint bad either. And the band was really from the south, not like CCR who played a heap of blues but was from Frisco. Although I have to admit, more classic rock, funk, soul, blues, r&b, psychedelic, classic and anything else in music came out of the Bay area.

By the way, is ’Rocket 88’, which was recorded in 1951 by Ike Turner and his band the first rock and roll song?

Thanks y’all.

Damn initforthemusic, that’s quite a lot of favorites you got there! You must have gone through your record collection, taking notes ;-) .

Some of your nominees have a special meaning to me. The Chocolate Watchband were local San Jose heroes when I was a kid, and I saw them live many times. Even closer to me, their original lineup included Jo Kemling on Vox Continental organ and Rich Young on bass. I auditioned for a group that was forming in the Spring of ’65, that group consisting of Jo and Rich, along with Jo’s younger brother Chuck, whom I went to school with. Chuck and I were Freshman at Cupertino High, Jo and Rich were at Foothill College. I and another drummer auditioned, and I was chosen. That other drummer was Pete Curry, who now plays bass (he also plays guitar, and is a working recording engineer) in Los Straitjackets.

We worked up a set of British Invasion covers (I was assigned the task of singing "Help") and were about to start playing out when The Watchband, also just forming, stole away Jo and Rich! So ended my first band-to-be. The Watchband also stole their drummer Gary Andrijasevich from a Cupertino Frat Band named The Squyers, and I ended up being Gary’s replacement in that band for about a year, playing teen dances at High Schools, youth clubs, etc. Lots of Chuck Berry, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Animals, Surf, etc. songs.

Gary Andrijasevich was also at Cupertino High, but a couple years ahead of Chuck and I. On the day of The Watchband’s first live show in the Summer of ’65, Gary became ill. Pete Curry subbed for him (with no rehearsal), doing a fine job. The Watchband played around the Bay Area for a few years, and can be seen in the Roger Corman teen exploitation movie Riot On Sunset Strip, doing their shameless Rolling Stones imitation. When they broke up (around the end of ’67, I believe), Andrijasevich and Watchband lead guitarist Mark Loomis started another band, named The Electric Tingle Guild. I saw them live only once, and they were great, doing all originals. MUCH better than The Watchband.

Say, being as you obviously are into Garage, are you hip to The Lyres? My favorite in that genre, a great live band. I saw The Sonics in L.A. not that long ago (they have reformed, with three original members). Not as good live as The Lyres, but their records are killer!

@bdp24 Wow, some great experiences there. Must have been a great time!

Yeah, I'm a Lyres fan. Have quite a few of there Albums, EP's. I just did the list off the top of my head, so left out quite a few good bands. The Smithereens, who were just great Live, The Blasters etc.
I just love that 60's Garage sound from the US. Those bands had a real Raw, Tough, Authentic Sound played with a real passion. Some of those Bands did more in one Single than some bands who had Long Careers! Here in Australia we had quite a few bands in a similar vein. The biggest issue was the equipment and studios were below par here. Check out early Masters Apprentices, (Australia's Greatest Band), Missing Links, Wild Cherries etc.
Cheers.