Affordable Processor with Fabulous 2 Channel ?

Gang,

I'm using my Mytek Brooklyn DAC as a pre for music and TV. It is fabulous sounding but I really would like to have 5.1 channel surround, and a single remote! 

Is there an affordable processor (used OK) that has at least as good 2 channel performance? Emotiva is right out. I owned one, and it sounded thin as paper. I note that there are a lot of Krell processors for sale at reasonable prices. 

Thoughts?

Erik
erik_squires
I guess that what I’m trying to ask is if the Lumin will give me any better quality as compared to connecting my laptop to the Sigma with the USB connection?
Don’t know. I’ve never listened to the D2 but I have listened to the higher end Lumin A1 & S1 but these cost way more than the D2. The D2 is an entry level model from Lumin. The A1 & S1 are very very good. Can’t comment on the D2 though. You can try out the D2 in your setup and buy with a 30 day return policy so that you can return it if you don’t need it.

However, the Lumin D2 supports DSD & MQA and I don’t think the DAC in the Classe Sigma SSP supports DSD & MQA. So it depends on your needs whether you need DSD files & MQA decoding to stream Tidal Master (hi-rez) etc. Try both by connecting direct to your Sigma SSP via USB and the Lumin D2 going XLR analog out to your Sigma SSP and set the Sigma SSP in digital bypass mode. And you decide which one sounds better more musical etc etc.
Clark calls regular asynchronous USB interfaces ’non optimal’ because the ground noise that is inevitable with computer sources pollutes the clock and the DAC in the receiver.

Except that it is completely preventable with standard isolation techniques, available as off-the-shelf chips or custom designed.

Honestly in 2018 this should not even be an issue anymore, though it is, rarely.
Where does Krell S1200 or McIntosh C45 stand in the comparison for both Stereo & Surround (HT) sound?