A DAC that crushes price vs. performance ratio

I felt strongly that I wanted to inform the Gon members about a new DAC that ranks with the very best on the market regarding performance, but costs around $2,000.00.  The Lab12 DAC1 SE was compared to three reference level DACS that retail for over $12.000.00 in my review for hometheaterreview.com and was at least on the same level sonicly, if not better.  This DAC from Greece is not just "good for the money" but competes with virtually anything on the market regardless of price!

For all the details about the Lab12 DAC1 SE performance and what other DACS it was compared to take a look at the review.  If you are shopping/looking for a new digital front end to drive your system, you owe it to yourself to check this DAC out, unless you like to spend tons of more $ without getting better performance.
teajay
Just got the Lab12 DAC1 SE installed and have been listening for a few hours... here are some early impressions.

I've had several DACs over the last couple of years - Weiss, Aesthetix, Wyred, Metrum, Theta and most recently, PS Audio (I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few). Of the DACs I've owned previously, I would characterize them as more similar than different, variants of a theme really. Could I identify them in blind A-B testing?  Sure, but the differences were not nearly as dramatic as changing speakers or preamp. The Lab 12 has a different sound signature, clearly a different breed from the DACs I've owned previously. It has an amazing combination of speed and detail, something I found with all my previous DACs, but it also has incredible dimensionality and slam. Timbre is spot on, vocals are nicely out in front, has a bit of warmth and sweetness without sounding overly thick or slow. It has much more 'you are there' feeling than my previous DACs... it honestly reminds me of everything I loved about my Atma-Sphere amps (I greatly simplified my system for an overseas assignment and did not bring any tube gear).

Having gone back and reread TeaJay's review, I completely agree with his characterization of the DAC and find it as extraordinary as he does. To say I am impressed with the Lab12 DAC would be an understatement - of all the DACs I've owned, it's absolutely my favorite to date. Of course this means little in anyone else's room, but I'm extremely impressed.

I did make a few changes from stock that should be noted - the stock tube was replaced with a 1950's Siemens 7308, fuse was replaced with one from Synergistic Research and I am using a WireWorld PC. I have no idea how these changes contribute to what I'm hearing, as I never listened to the unit in it's stock configuration.

Like anything in this hobby, YMMV...
@ srosenberg

Nice and detailed review!

I also plan to do tube rolling and put SR blue fuse in it.

I placed an order for Lab12 3 days ago but I have to wait 8 weeks to get it.

Are you still in Oregon or had left for Vietnam?

I hope that you enjoy your stay in Vietnam.

I am living in Northwest of Washington State, midway between Seattle and Vancouver, BC.

Thomas

@ shkong78

I am still in Vietnam - an amazing part of the world to be sure.  You've certainly settled in a spectacular part of the country... NW Washington state is STUNNING!!!

Enjoy the DAC and be sure to let us know what you think of it.  I was certainly shocked by how good it sounded.
The Lab 21 sounds like a great dac. I wish it were balanced, as my system is all balanced. 
@srosenberg

Enjoy your stay in Vietnam!

How long will you stay over there?

I have a beautiful view of Sound and Bay also Olympic Mountains from my home.

I may live here until I die especially I have a beautiful listening space here.

@lordcloud

My EMMLab Dac2 has balanced output which was one of the best Dac 8 years ago.

After inserting SR Blue fuse in it, it sounds more fantastic with lot of details, nice timber, wide and deep soundstage.

I have to wait 8 weeks to get Lab12, But it will be tough battle between those two excellent Dac.

I guess that EMM will have more weight and Lab 12 may be more nuanced.

One of them will have to go!

I also considered getting Total Dac MK2 tube version.

But Dac keep improving every year with new technology.

So I decided upon trying out Lab12 since it will cost me less even if I decide to sell Lab 12 after losing battle to EMMLab Dac2.

At this point, I am not sure which one of Dac will sound better in my system.