Considering the New Tekton Design Encores? AND Owners Group - Experiences/Questions

I am the very happy owner of the first pair of New Tekton Design Encores and I thought I would create this thread to answer any questions anyone might have regarding the Encore speakers, room considerations, and associated equipment. If you’ve order your pair already, please chime in. I really want to hear what other people’s experience are with these unbelievable speakers.

I drive my Encores with both an Art Audio Diavolo SET 300b Tube Amplifier with 8wpc and I switch in my 700w Nord One-Up SE Monoblocks for non-critical listening and some big pieces of music that benefit from the extra power.

• Made under U.S. Patent 9247339 with multiple new patents pending
  • Proprietary loudspeaker design
  • Ultra-linear frequency response with ±.5dB deviation from 70Hz-20kHz
  • One single crossover element placed within the tweeter path
  • Ultra-linear, entirely time-invariant minimum-phase mid-range section
  • Proprietary patent pending 15 dome radiating hybrid MTM high frequency array
  • Two 6.5" mid-bass patented ’overtone & harmonic’ transducers
  • Dual 11" low-frequency transducers
  • ​96dB 2.83V@1m sensitivity
  • 4 Ohm design for optimum performance
  • 20Hz-30kHz frequency response​
  • Dimensions Width 13.25" x Depth 15.25" x Height 62"
  • 800 Watt power handling
  • Weight 175 lbs​
128x128jcarcopo
They might be braced well, internally, but they fail the knuckle test big time. Tap on these Tekton speakers and you can hear the echo all the way back to Utah.

Now, whether or not that has anything to do with the sound that comes out of the Tekton speakers, well, that's a different story. A ton of people dig the sound. However, I haven't seen anything from Tekton that speaks to internal vibration control. One would have to assume that the speakers are voiced the way they are, taking into account the natural vibration conducive to all transducers. But that's just as assumption. Having viewed Tekton speakers on the inside, they lead me to believe that Tekton is voiced a certain way, yes, but internal vibration is not addressed in what amounts to little more than a cave. 

You'll have the extra expenditure of stands, or whatever, for sure.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it was ever thus. I brought in the Pure Audio Project Trio15 Horn1 speakers and thought they looked kind of cool, but my wife literally wept once we assembled them and she got a good look at them. Well.

A few weeks later, when my Encores arrived in the Spanish tile soft gloss finish, we both agreed that they looked great in our living room. But what do we know, philistines that we are? They go great with our dogs-playing-poker black velvet oil paintings.

Honestly the overriding criteria should be the ’end result sound quality. There are numerous ways to build a speaker /cabinets and obtain high quality sound. The knuckle wrap isn’t indicative of the final sound.

What if a particular speaker produced an approved knuckle wrap response yet yields poor sound quality. Of what predictive value is the knuckle wrap? Given the very positive comments regarding the Tekton Encores if would suggest that the cabinet wrapping test is inconsequential.
Charles

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, 

It sure is.

Reminds me of the Soundstage review of the Joseph Audio Pulsar stand mounted speakers. To me, and to the reviewer, they look like normal, elegant little stand mounted speakers, with particularly classy woodwork.  But apparently the reviewer's wife loathed the way they looked more than any other gear he'd reviewed, so he couldn't keep them. That reaction had me truly baffled.

Though I had another slightly baffling experience as well. I had Thiel 3.7 speakers for a while in our living room/media room. They were a beautiful design but a bit big for the room. My wife isn't big on seeing large speakers so when I told her I was getting smaller ones she was happy. I got the slightly smaller Thiel 2.7s, in a truly gorgeous ebony wood that perfectly matched our decor. To my eyes, among the most beautiful, restrained, designs I've ever seen. Yet my wife preferred the looks of the big speakers. Wimmin....go figure....

Honestly the overriding criteria should be the ’end result sound quality. There are numerous ways to build a speaker /cabinets and obtain high quality sound. The knuckle wrap isn’t indicative of the final sound.

What if a particular speaker produced an approved knuckle wrap response yet yields poor sound quality. Of what predictive value is the knuckle wrap? Given the very positive comments regarding the Tekton Encores if would suggest that the cabinet wrapping test is inconsequential.
Charles

Reading comprehension, sir.  To wit, " They might be braced well, internally, but they fail the knuckle test big time...Now, whether or not that has anything to do with the sound that comes out of the Tekton speakers, well, that's a different story. A ton of people dig the sound.

The knuckle wrap should only be an indicator to look inside and understand how the speaker is made. Again, a lot of people dig the sound. On the other hand, they might dig the sound better if something was done to keep vibration to a minimum...and no, sealed portions of the cabinet doesn't mean much. It's an echo chamber in there.

But yeah, as long as it sounds good, who cares, right? This is true. Only could it sound better had real design gone into these? You bet.