Affordable Processor with Fabulous 2 Channel ?

Gang,

I'm using my Mytek Brooklyn DAC as a pre for music and TV. It is fabulous sounding but I really would like to have 5.1 channel surround, and a single remote! 

Is there an affordable processor (used OK) that has at least as good 2 channel performance? Emotiva is right out. I owned one, and it sounded thin as paper. I note that there are a lot of Krell processors for sale at reasonable prices. 

Thoughts?

Erik
erik_squires
The Anthem AVM60 is a great HT processor and has exceptional ARC2 (Anthem Room Correction) and is priced at $3k new, which imo is a total bargain. And it supports and decodes those latest surround sound formats & codecs eg Dolby Atmos, DTS-X. It is excellent for HT use.
I've found myself back in this same boat recently.  My listening habits change all the time and right now, they're back at maybe 80/20 HT/records.  Earlier this year, it was 90/10 records/HT.  I used a Marantz AV7005 for several years and then decided to try an 'old' Krell HTS 7.1. It was perfect for what I needed.  Balanced outs, 5.1 analog inputs (for my Oppo Bluray player) a zone 2 for my Tascam recorder, etc.  I always ran video sources directly into the TV, so no need for HDMI inputs.  Needless to say, I donated the Marantz within a week to my father.  The Krell is substantially better on everything over the Marantz.  I don't need an EQ because I have a pretty well treated room.  The Marantz had sloppier bass, muddy highs and veiled/muffled midrange.  Anyway, now that I'm into streaming movies/shows a lot more and cut the cord on cable, I am ready to move up to Atmos/dts;X.  Otherwise I wouldn't bother upgrading.  I found the best advice which has also been mentioned in this thread - buy a 2-channel preamp with HT bypass.  My sights are on an Anthem AV60 and Rogue Audio Perseus for stereo (LPs and CDs) listening.  The X-2.5 mentioned earlier looks very temping.  I demo'd an XP-15 phono preamp and it was very impressive.
I have a question since this thread has been dominated by the Classe sigma ssp.

I have been using the Oppo 103d with a NAD m51 as part of my 2 channel setup. I was going to get a Oppo 205 and use it as a source and processor, but we all know what happened there as I wont get ripped off by the price gougers at this point and time.

So after all, I am stuck with the processor route as this forum has been wonderful for a lurker like myself! I have ZERO interest in atmos and just want a high quality 5 channel surround processor as 2 channel and sound quality are utmost importance.

So, with that all said, one of the Classe ssp units seem to be the right choice.

My question is does anyone know what would be a better sounding setup. The Oppo 103d to the NAD m51 dac and then to the Pass labs amp or the Oppo 103d to the Classe ssp and then to the Pass labs amp?

I'm concerned I will degrade the 2 channel going from the Oppo 103d to Classe ssp opposed to going to the NAD m51 dac from the Oppo.

Thanks!

@freemand

The Classe Sigma SSP is optimized for stereo or when used as a stereo preamp and its DAC is very good especially when fed via its USB input. Its USB input by far sounded way better than its other inputs for digital music files. I will guarantee that the CD disc played back through your Oppo 103 connected to the Sigma SSP via spdif (coax digital) or HDMI sonically cannot compare to those same CD properly ripped in digital files (FLAC) and played back through your computer feeding the Classe Sigma SSP via USB. The latter by far will be superior sounding.

Do not hesitate to purchase the Classe Sigma SSP. It also performs and sounds really good when used as an analog stereo preamp in bypass mode. If you have a high end CD player or DAC and want to feed the Classe via analog and use the Classe Sigma SSP as analog stereo preamp you will have to select digital bypass mode thus bypassing DSP and other digital processings in the Sigma SSP so the analog signal will be kept in pure analog domain all the way through its analog output stage or otherwise DSP will get in the way and will degrade sound quality.

The Classe Sigma SSP is your best solution for combining your stereo and multi-channel needs in one single box at a very attractive price on a used unit.
Its surround performance for home theater is also very good. You probably won’t need the NAD M51 and just use the DAC in the Classe. The NAD M51 was great and is still good by today standard but the M51 is a bit older measured by DAC or digital audio technology and the Sigma SSP is newer and uses newer and up-to-date DSP and DAC or digital audio technology.

You can try connecting your NAD M51 DAC to the Classe Sigma SSP but first you will have to set the output of your NAD M51 to fixed and set the Classe Sigma SSP in digital bypass mode and make comparison between using the NAD M51 to the Classe via analog with the Classe set in bypass mode vs streaming digital files directly to the Classe via USB input on the Classe.
That way you will know and find out which will sound better to your ears.
Caphill,
You sure do know the Classé very well. I have it and absolutely love it.  
  Help me understand why the Sigma would perform better with a connection via USB compared with a HDMI connection?  Wouldn’t  these be run through the same DAC’s?