The "how many reviews it got" rule

This is my rule of thump when I purchase components online
without having heard them first.  If a component received a
lot of reviews, chances are the component is very good.
I mean the component has to be good to attract a lot of
reviewers. Most reviewers probably wouldn’t
bother to review something he doesn’t like in the first place.
andy2
^^^^^
True. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have to remind myself every now and then that just because a particular component doesn't make a "Recommended Components" listing doesn't mean it can't hang with the ones that did. Perhaps it just didn't get reviewed.

There are myriad manufacturers out there and a finite amount of review space. Especially review space by knowledgeable and articulate writers.
Post removed 

So true jl35. Some designers/manufactures are uninterested in playing the review game, accepting the fact that to do so prevents their products from achieving the sales they deserve and could possibly achieve. It's much like the artists who decline to "sell out" (remember when The Stones "went disco"? How embarrassing), thereby dooming themselves to cult status rather than stardom. Self respect is important.

Stereophile and TAS constantly review products from the same small group of companies, giving ink to every single new model introduced (or "New, Improved!" revisions to existing models), ignoring those from less "trendy" companies. Stereophile is also very selective in what it drops from it's bi-annual Recommended Components list, exhibiting obvious favoritism.

Post removed 
I don't see a correlation unless perhaps it is a masterpiece that everyone wants to review.
Generally, I think I understand what Michael Fremer says. His preferred sound may not be exactly mine, at least not fully, but it doesn't matter. I mean, I would get that Continuum table and Ypsilon phono he has but he could keep his Wilsons with Tara cables and DartZeel amps for his bloody self.