Transaction

I just need to vent on a situation that I have encountered due to a purchase through Audiogon. About 8 months ago, I purchased a Krell cd player from a very reputable dealer. About three weeks after receiving it, it stopped functioning.  Despite being told that the unit($1000) was sold "as is", it was eventually fixed. Since then I have encountered new problems so frustrating, I have essentially stopped using it. This was a fairly expensive transaction, that has become almost a total waste. I am now forced to go to Krell to see if they can remedy the situation, which will undoubtedly cost me more money. The point of all this is, despite the fact that Audiogon is only the middle man and totally reputable, and that the dealer in question has a long, and I assume good, reputation, BUYER BEWARE. Do your homework. You never know.
128x128jonbagdon
Post removed 
When you buy used and "as is", you're taking on the risk of it breaking on day 2, and setting off that risk against the significant reduction of cost vs. a new unit with a long warranty (e.g. Bryston).  At that point, it's the luck of the draw.  Some older things break, others don't.  CD players are probably the highest risk used purchase, for reasons others have already stated. 5-year old speakers are probably the lowest risk, but you never know.
Would never buy used cd player,used turntable or cartridge as you could get a turkey very easy.