Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
geofkait - sorry i missed your mention
slaw - rock & roll has many genres, perhaps you should be more specific to how you define rock & roll.  it seems like you are stuck in your generation of rock - 'classic'.
Booker T & The MG's, the only band to work with both Otis Redding and Bob Dylan.

eyecallshotgun, good call. I forgot about Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. A very underrated band and guitar player too.

Can we add the James Brown band since he influenced so many rockers from Mick Jagger of the Stones to John Bonham of Led Zep?

Ok lets get this straightened out first on the confusion. I see many people getting confused of the term Rock and Roll. Think of music like taxonomy of biology. R&R is towards the top where there is then sub classes; Rock, Pop, RnB, and so forth.

My vote is Fugazi!