Technics 1200G - clamp record weight or no record weight?

It seems as though 95% of the time the 1200G sounds better without a clamp or weight.  I use a Boston audio mat and it seems when I add a clamp or weight, it may sound pleasing in some ways for some records but most of the time records seem to sound better without anything...  maybe its just the mat does not like the clamp.  not sure...  How are your experiences?  So far I have used the Project puck, Stillpoints LPI, Orsonic 200 gram clamp.  The Stillpoints may sound the best in some circumstances but it seems that the lighter Orsonic works pretty good. 
tzh21y
You will not damage anything, Technics supports not only heavy clamps of 1kg, but also heavy mat of 2kg. It’s been said many times on audiogon, no harm for the bearings. The SP-10mk2 and mk3 ownrs use superheavy mats and clamps, the SL1200G series can be used with heavy clamps, absolutely no problem. It’s Technics!
I've tried with and without clamping using a VPI clamp on my 1200GR and can't tell the difference. For this reason I say no clamp. BUT, I also use a Herbies mat that could offset the sonics of the stock rubber mat if used with clamp, which combination I have not yet tried.
tzh21y,

I have addressed this in another Technics SL1200G thread. I did send my SL1200G directly to atmasphere  (Ralph) and had him mod it with a Triplanar Classic SE tonearm. I have had it for some months now. 

I have tried the stock mat and 4 or 5 others. Finally received the Oracle Hard Acrylic platter mat. ( the best of all tried )  I tried my Sota Reflex clamp, the Brass record weight from my Kuzma TT , A MoFi record weight ( much like the HRS 315 gram ) that I finally settled on. (The best of the four) 

I talked with Bill Voss at Axpona 2018. ( he was using one of the MoFi weights that morning ) He told me that the table should be used with 1LB record weight ( Max )

@chakster is a very knowledgeable guy, no doubt. He has his opinions. They are opinions, Not gospel. Think about things and use Your Ears. Do you really want a metal mat? Even if its copper. Some guys swear by VPI aluminum platters, Some Delrin platters. chakster likes copper mats.

I am happy with the Technics 1200G modded with the Triplanar, the Oracle Hard Acrylic mat and the HRS 315 gram record weight. This combo along with the Lyra Kleos cartridge has turned out better than I hoped or imagined it would.

The speed control of the Technics surpasses my LP12 and my Kuzma TTs. This speed control and the Triplanar tonearm allow the Kleos to perform at a level not achieved with either my Ekos tonearm or Kuzma 12" VTA tonearm. Can't say enough about this combination.

What I do agree with chakster and others about, is the record being Flat and making Full contact with whatever mat or platter you decide to use (use your ears). Even though most of my records are relatively flat, I again agree that 95% have some kind of wave, for lack of a better description, that requires some kind of weight or clamp. Excessive weight or clamping has its own problems.

This is why, I am saving my "nickles" for an AFI Flat, made in Germany. A record flattner with difference. It has a RELAX cycle that, anneals the record at lower temps. Relieving the stresses introduced during the pressing process.

No doubt in my mind, that Flat records play and sound Better. Just try an old MoFi  UHQR or one of the new UD1S records or anyone of your really flat records. Watch your tonearm carefully while playing a record that is flat, but has some of these waves.  I think that you will get the point.

The AFI Flat is out in a new improved model. Yes, its Spendy,  2850 euros.

Also, if you want to carry this flattening business further, you can get an outer ring (keep in mind, 1 lb weight limit) Their is a company, again Germany that makes an outer ring specially for the SL1200G.

Hope this helps and Best to All on Your Journey
Chalkser there is a big difference between a clamp and a weight. The clamp pulls the spindle upwards, causing it to not sit properly in its main bearing race, and pulling it off of its only thrust bearing, which is at the bottom of the spindle. This destabilizes the spindle and accelerates wear. For this reason, clamps are not recommended for Technics turntables. 

The weight simply exerts downward force, while the spindle is sitting in the correct position in its bearings, there is added load on the thrust bearing, so make sure you regularly clean and lubricate it to maximize lifespan. 
I have the Technics SL1200G and I tried it with the VPI record weight.  I was using it on my previous VPI Prime.  I didn't care for the sound with the weight, the Technics sounded a little muddy and the PRAT seemed off.  In the end, I prefer the Technics weightless.