A DAC that crushes price vs. performance ratio

I felt strongly that I wanted to inform the Gon members about a new DAC that ranks with the very best on the market regarding performance, but costs around $2,000.00.  The Lab12 DAC1 SE was compared to three reference level DACS that retail for over $12.000.00 in my review for hometheaterreview.com and was at least on the same level sonicly, if not better.  This DAC from Greece is not just "good for the money" but competes with virtually anything on the market regardless of price!

For all the details about the Lab12 DAC1 SE performance and what other DACS it was compared to take a look at the review.  If you are shopping/looking for a new digital front end to drive your system, you owe it to yourself to check this DAC out, unless you like to spend tons of more $ without getting better performance.
teajay
Roxy54,
I do understand the appeal of NOS and R2R chips and ladder topologies. I would just say that there’s more to the "big picture" viewpoint. I haven’t heard the Lab12 DAC SE but have no reason to question Teajay’s enthusiastic review.

A friend let me borrow his Holo Springs level III DAC so I could hear it in my system. As you know it is NOS and R2R discrete resistor ladder design. It was actually a very good  sounding DAC in my 300b SET/DHT Line stage based system. In direct comparison to my Yamamoto YDA O1a DAC we felt that both were organic in nature,   the Yamamoto was more ’alive,  extended and dynamic in presentation . In reality more emotionally involving. 

The Yamamoto is delta sigma(Texas Instruments 1794 chip) and over samples 8x (but with minimal digital filtering) no NFB or OP-amps. My only point is that you really have to listen to these DACs to judge their sound quality. Delta sigma versus R2R is only part of the story and I don’t believe that one can be declared superior to the other.

I hope you do get to hear the Lab 12 DAC SE in your system. Best of luck to you.
Charles

Based on specs and forum buzz, the $2.5K ifi Pro iDSD DAC looks like a potential giant-killer.  Any experience with this one?  It has some features that appeal to me, such as a 10mhz master clock input and the ability to take power from an external 12Vdc LPS.  (I already have an SRS PERF10 and a Hynes SR7 for this purpose.)

https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-idsd/ 

Charles,
Thanks, and I hear what you're saying loud and clear. I guess I'm not really being practical about this. I just want to get a DAC that is better than the one that I have without much bother, because I can't try either before I buy them. I have actually loved my ANK 2.1 for several years now, but felt that it was time to take the next step up. I guess nothing is that easy unless I stay with ANK, and really know what to expect, although I had an email exchange with Terry (Teajay) today, and was heartened to hear from him that he was familiar with some upper end Audio Note DACs, and found the Lab 12 superior.  
Roxy54,
I wasn’t trying to discourage you at all regarding the Lab 12 DAC. Quite the contrary. I just decided to comment because of you mentioning the Holo Springs which I had direct experience with. I say go forward with your plans to acquire that Labs 12  DAC it could turn out to be fantastic in your system.
Charles
I don’t know what it is but I don’t like Audio Note equipment (post Kondo-san), except for the AN-E speakers and their DACs. Somehow they got that right, my opinion of course. That being said I have used the Lessloss DAC 2004 MkII now for 12 years. It oversamples and I’ve tried the NOS DACs too, but this one has stayed. The only other DAC I enjoyed as much was the original Monarchy Audio M-24 referred to me by Lynn Olson and Thom Mackris (Galbier Design). If an analog and turntable manufacturer likes a DAC you take notice.

Okay so I’m looking for another DAC. I use a CEC transport slaved to the Lessloss in a small bedroom system. I have a NOS DAC I now use temporarily in my main system. Somewhat special, but perhaps not the end game. The two DAC manufacturers that have caught my attention so far are Metrum and Denafrips. I can tell you right now as an analog tape and vinyl guy I am not pulling the trigger on either, but it is fun to look.

@roxy54 - sometimes the best DAC is the one you are currently listening to. I happen to think you have an excellent DAC.