Advice for killer desktop speakers

I am looking to upgrade my desktop listening experience and could use the advice of the community. Is there anything in the same price range as the Audioengine 5+ that I should consider? The Audioengines seem to be the consensus choice, but am unsure if this is just online hype and inertia. I do not want a subwoofer and I do not have enough desk space to go any bigger than the Audioengine 5. I tried using a pair of Kef Q150 speakers paired with a Dayton Audio APA 150 amp, but the speakers are just too big for my desk.  I think i would prefer to have powered speakers for the simplicity and utilize the Dayton in another room. I  normally listen at moderate volumes and need them to sound good at relatively low levels.  Any suggestions?
jplunkettj
I have used the AudioEngine P4's in my desktop system for the last 5 years and think they sound great. Do invest in the optional angle stands.
I found my happieness with a set of used Totem Mites.  $400, small, decent extension.  
They are both fine competitors in powered desktop speakers. They have their own built-in amps = footprint space savers .

Your ultimate choice depends on a very subjective evaluation of :

(1) Connectivity options, especially Blutooth and dual optical inputs, direct phono Turntable preamp, and a direct subwoofer out
(2) alternative speaker finish aesthetics (if important )
(3) every speaker has its own bespoke unique sonic signature ...
(4) Options: including footprint and size and power ( with matched price points). The KANTOS are available in three models.... the “2”, “4” and “6”

https://www.audioadvice.com/content/kanto-yu2-yu4-yu6-speaker-comparison/

I demoed the AE and KANTO both in a bake-off for my “C” system..... the KANTOs won out in my desktop system.

The KANTOS also come in various funky colour gloss finish options that helped the WAF option when I drag them outside as BBQ self-powered stand-alone wireless on-the-deck-party performers through an iPhone / iPad digital source via Bluetooth OR direct RCA input via TT.

The KANTO YU6 has with a formidable and beefy Class D amplifier pumping out 200W peak power, (100W RMS)

Because speakers are subjective, my guess is that is a likely a close tie overall in any general personal fave opinion desktop-use bake-off.

I will add that my inclusion of a (under-table at my desk) direct output via cable subwoofer (KANTO has their own matched set small one but any one will do) was a BIG final audio performance step-up overall; that facilitated a more pleasing overall audio improvement especially at both
(a) lower volumes in a nearfield desktop listening arena, and,
(b) louder volumes as required for outside party use.

You did say "killer", correct?  I put a pair of single driver speakers right in front of my desk and get amazing full range with imaging.  Merrill Zigmahornets for me but anything similar will do that has the drivers at ear height.  Don't forget to use overkill for an amp too.  At near field listening all you need is 3-5 watts.  2A3 or 300B or maybe single 6BQ5.