Looking for ideas - new mono blocks for stereo music

Hello!

I am on a bit of a mission to upgrade my equipment and just recently purchased the Esoteric K-01X SACD player.
In my case, the primary focus for critical listening is stereo music (aka red book CD) from the Esoteric.
My current chain is from the Esoteric through the Marantz 8802A into the Bryston 7B-SST2 powering a pair of JBL 1400 Array speakers.
I am very happy with the JBLs and just upgraded to the K-01X (had the X-03SE before).

Right now I would like to hear some suggestions for new mono blocks. I am already planning on adding the Esoteric C-03X(s) to the system to replace the Marantz as (stereo) pre-amp.

The primary focus is detail and resolution as I really love hearing new aspects of CDs that previous equipment couldn't reveal.
Soundstage and instrument placement are also high on the list. Bass slam / impact is not really a priority since I am stuck in an apartment for the time being.
Another factor is heat - I am looking for an amp, not a space heater. Especially considering the already hot summers in Toronto!
The price ceiling for me is somewhere around $20,000/pair

My current short list consists of:
Grandinote
Pass Labs
Simaudio
Mark Levinson

Now it's time for the brainpool (that's you guys!) to have at it :)

Thanks in advance!
128x128eohtar

Agreed on the Audio Sensibility. The Signature Silver interconnects (either XLR or RCA) from Audio Sensibility are probably the best you can do. That is if you want silver. I used to own these interconnects before I moved to OCC/Rhodium. My cousin still has a pair of the Signature Silver XLR and they are hard to beat.  Actually, I could build these cables myself if I wanted to, but it would cost just as much to get the wire/connectors, so it's a really awesome value for the money!!

However, I would suggest you avoid the lower end Impact and Statement series as they use stranded conductors. You’ll do much better with something like Wire World or Audioquest. Keep in mind that silver has it’s own double-edged sword and can sound too bright/sterile/harsh on a system that has too much resolution. It’s a fine line balancing act.

For power cords, I agree that getting $1,000 plus power cords is a total waste of money. Most of them use stranded conductors, which in my testing always results in sound that is not as good (phasing issues and solid-state sounding). I shy away from silver or silver-plated solutions as well.

If you are willing to DIY, I usually get a used Audioquest NRG-4 cable and chop the ends, then put on Furutech FI-28(R) rhodium connectors for IEC/Male. At the used prices today, it will come to $450-500 USD for a power cord that will beat the crap out of most other cords in the market. The Audioquest NRG-4 uses all solid-core OCC type solid-core copper conductors (4 x 19awg for hot, 5 x 21awg for neutral/ground).

What many people don’t realize is that the connector plug accounts for half of the sound quality of the cable. The stock NRG-4 cable sound nice and it has a very solid sound, but the gold-plated connectors will impart a warm sound with rolled-off/recessed highs. If you are budget constraint, you can even use the cheaper Furutech FI-11-N1(R) series or even go down to the Cardas 3455R connectors.

For interconnects, I hand make all mine using braided 20awg solid-core OCC conductors and Furutech rhodium XLRs. Speaker cable is usually a double-run of Rocket 44/88 with Furutech rhodium spades. (two runs of Rocket 44/88 would be a 10awg speaker cable).

I am with you @twoleftears and @auxinput

Already have the Audio Sensibility Silver Signature to connect the K-01X to the Marantz.
From there it's Nordost Blue Heaven to the Brystons - I just might try some sensible upgrade there. It's a 4m (or about 12ft for those non-metric) run, so it can get expensive - depending on the brand of course :)
As for power cords, it's Wire World (Electra 7 - OCC) for all the front end and Gutwire G Clef 2 for the amps which is OFC.
The wall sockets are Furutech Rhodium.
And last but not least, the speaker cable is the first generation Nordost Valhalla.

I admit that's a pretty mixed bag but like I said, the system seems to gel really well right now.
But of course that never stopped anyone from tweaking things here and there, right?

That being said, let's not turn this into a thread on cables - those conversations seem to get out of hand very quickly...

I have a pair of JBL 1400 Arrays.

I have tried a few different amps on them and have found that the Marantz MA9-S2 mono blocks as sounding superior.  I have them matching SC7-S2 pre and SA7-S1 sacdp as well.  I have not wanted to replace them.  As far as I am concerned, it would be ideal for you.

Resolution/detail/soundstage are (to me) fantastic.

@eohtar - sounds like you have a good set of cables overall, and you know where you're weak links are.  Yeah, I would look at upgrading the Blue Heaven interconnects.  And maybe upgrade the amp power cords to something like Wire World.  But enough said.