Green Mountain Audio Chroma HX Review

I just had my Green Mountain Audio Chromas upgraded to Chroma HX. The difference is the crossover, with the capacitors being exceptionally high-grade. The low-pass filter is specially made to Roy Johnson's specifications. Unobtainium (not for sale) Litz wire is used with the latest unobtainium solder. The change is dramatic enough to consider the HX a different speaker, even though the schematic is essentially the same.

And the result is absolutely stunning. I was expecting a substantial improvement, but I was unprepared for the result. It's going to be difficult to put this into words, but I'm going to try. Let's face, we've heard it all before.

I have never heard a speaker that so effortlessly plays music. Every note has more music in it. I guess you could call that greater detail, but the HX transcends that description. Perhaps I should call it harmonic richness. The sound is unbelievably accurate, yet musical, throughout the frequency spectrum. The copious bass digs down deeper while being more well-defined. I would call it high-definition bass, to coin a term. The midrange is similarly tuneful, clear and also hi-def. It just flows naturally and cleanly. I would describe the treble as ethereal, sparkly and airy, never bright.

The HX is also the most coherent speaker I have ever heard. The woofer and the tweeter coexist happily. It is impossible to tell where the crossover frequencies are. You cannot hear the port either, just the bass. I find myself listening for hours, without fatigue, because the music captures my attention and holds it.

The sheer accuracy seems to lend itself to the soundstage, imaging with pinpoint precision. You know where every voice and instrument is at all times. This is an area of audio that I didn't much care about previously, but I cannot ignore now.

Any criticisms? Well one, maybe. If you like to crank the bass hard enough to drive your neighbors to yell death threats, you're going to need a powered sub.

I have heard many speakers in my time, among them Wilson Audio, Joseph Audio, Paradigm, Triangle, Meadowlark, Dali, Thiel, Usher and Vandersteen. None of them can deliver what the HX can. It's not even close. If you have a pair of the already excellent Chromas, HXing them is a must. I have found the speakers that I am going keep for life in the Chroma HX.

Related equipment:
Musical Fidelity A308cr with upgraded clocks
Audio Note Kits DAC 2.1
Pass Labs B1 buffered passive pre modified for shunt volume control
Pass Labs Aleph 3 power amp
BPT BP-1 balanced power conditioner
Audio Magic Matrix Mini power conditioner
Pass Labs Aleph 3 power amp

dave122
@dave122 
The change is dramatic enough to consider the HX a different speaker, even though the schematic is essentially the same.

Unless you are blindfolded and do an AB test there's no good reason to conclude that.

@kenjit Odd - 6moons has reviewed several GMA speakers and based on my reading seemed to enjoy. In fact the Callisto was honored with one of their awards.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/gma2/callisto.html
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/gma/continuum3_4.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gma3/calypso_2.html

I currently own the EOS HX, fed by a Schiit DAC and LFD AMP. I find the system very good. Of course I never take measurements, but rely on my ears. My only comparison is what I hear at shows, in showrooms and visits to friends homes. In addition to the GMA, I currently own modded Cornwalls and Celestion Ditton 33 - I just sold some modded Chorus 2 speakers.

However, if you do not like that is understandable as I do not often like some speakers many find very favorable.
It's not odd when you've been in this hobby a long time you learn that what you read in magazines is not always accurate. Ultimately what you read in magazines are opinions. Eventually you realise that opinions can differ greatly and there's no reason to value a reviewers opinion more than anybody elses

Magazines like 6moon do not even bother to measure the frequency response let alone claims about time coherency and more detailed information like distortion. Sterophile do at least carry out such kinds of tests at the end of their reviews. even then nobody has still figured out why some speakers sound better than others or what parameters should be optimised in a high end speaker.

The moral is never trust a magazine review simple as that. That is precisely the mistake I made when I bought the green mountains without spending enough time listening to it.

Ask the manufacturers for evidence which can be independently verified. We have every right to if you're spending thousands of dollars on a speaker. If they get defensive or don't reply, I would not bother with them.

true...audition before you buy is best, especially new.  I listened before I bought my GMA.  Absent of that - you are relying on posts, reviews and documentation.

I have foregone "the listen before you buy" in cases where the used market is very solid - I think Klipsch heritage speakers, Harbeth, etc fit this category.  In these cases you need to ensure you are receiving a quality product.  If fore whatever reason the speaker doesn't live up to expectation you can sell without taking a major hit in the wallet.