In need high-efficency speakers

I recently purchased a preowned Mystere IA-11 40 watt tube integrated amp to replace a 120 wpc SS amp. Overall it has a very satisfying sound with plenty of detail, dynamics and a tight bass for a tube amp.

The problem is the combination of our large town-home living/dining room combo with my 87db DIY Seas Froy Mk3 speaker, powered by the 40 watt amp means it can’t play loud, especially a problem with movies or TV specials.

I was hoping to change to the Zu Audio Omen Mk2 or Klipsch Heresy III high-efficency speakers. My wife and I agree it is unwise to spend that kind of money with our current finances. The Zu Dirty Weekend would be a cheaper option, but the Klipsch would look better in our living room.

So I’m looking for solid advice on what to do from this audiophile community.

Here is a link to my ’Virtual System’ if that will help.
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7252

Thanks all,
Mike
128x128mjcmt
Mjcmt, given that you’ve purchased a pre-owned amplifier, I’m wondering if the reason the sound "hardens" when the volume control is turned up past the 12 o’clock position might simply be that some of the tubes might not be in good condition.

In any event, consistent with my earlier comments it seems to me that buying new speakers to compensate for the fact that turning the volume control up high enough to utilize the majority of the amp’s power capability is not possible without significant sonic degradation, while not first determining what the root cause of the problem is, would not be a good approach. And if the root cause of the problem ultimately cannot be determined, I would consider replacing the amp, not the speakers. As I indicated earlier, you are probably not using more than about 6 watts of its specified 40 watt capability.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al
Take the amp and the speakers to an audio friend’s place (or to a dealer) and test each out with other gear.

Choose a course once you’ve figured out the issue(s).

It's more advisable to do this than have a friend bring the gear to your place, just in case the issue(s) are not related to the speakers or the amp. That way you will have a starting point.
  Don't take this the wrong way.  I think I'm talking to a man ???? The wife tricked you again
 The time will never be right to buy the speakers 
You want if you ask her for advice. Do it my way just buy the things you want.   It's so sad.  Don't let kids see you it messes up their heads 

Eric Alexander will take care of you.   If you know what I mean    Sir.