Is there actually a difference?

Speakers sound different - that is very obvious. But I’ve never experienced a drastic change between amps. Disclaimer that I’ve never personally ABX tested any extremely high end gear.

With all these articles claiming every other budget amp is a "giant killer", I’ve been wondering if there has ever been blind tests done with amplifiers to see if human ears can consistently tell the difference. You can swear to yourself that they do sound different, but the mind is a powerful thing, and you can never be sure unless it’s a truly blind test.

One step further - even IF we actually can tell the difference and we can distinguish a certain amp 7/10 times under extreme scrutiny, is it really worth the thousands you are shelling out to get that nearly-imperceivable .01% increase in performance?

Not looking to stir up any heated debate. I’ve been in audio for several years now and have always thought about this.
asianatorizzle
Partly depends on the interaction of the amp and the loudspeaker connected, and their electrical characteristics.  A given amp can sound bad on one speaker and much better on another.  But yes, agree with @shadorne, not a huge difference between competent SS designs, despite the supposed chasms that audio reviewers like to dwell on and rhapsodize about.  But I certainly noticed a difference between my 300B, single-ended, class A Cary and a significantly higher-powered SS.  Swings and roundabouts.
Good thread started here, OP. FWIW I think it depends on what you consider "drastic". I can tell differences between my NAD, Denon, NuForce, Krell and Vincent amps. Differences of about 10%, maybe 20% with regards to sound quality. Just my 2c, YMMV.

Tom
twoleftears
... not a huge difference between competent SS designs, despite the supposed chasms that audio reviewers like to dwell on and rhapsodize about ...
The problem with opaque criticism such as this is that labeling something a "huge difference" or "not a huge difference" is completely subjective. The same happens when others observe the diminishing returns that happen as price increases. Those relatively small, incremental improvements are very important to some, and not at all important to others. The OP asks "is it really worth the thousands you are shelling out" for those improvements. The answer is for every audiophile to decide for himself.