Help with kef r900 issue

I bought a pair of kef r900 speakers from kefdirect in April 2018. I enjoy them most of the time, but with some vocals, e.g., Alan Jackson, Allison Krauss and Mary Chaplin Carpenter, at nearly any level, they sometimes make a ripping, tearing or distorted sound that is hard to describe. Initially, I used a McIntosh MC202 with 200 rms, and now a Rotel RB 1590, with identical results. Initially, I used a very old Transparent Musiclink cable and now a Transparent Plus, again with identical results. I’m about to dump these unless I can figure it out since KEF has no one in the NW to repair them and they advise against paying to ship them (I agree). Before I write them off as a bad bargain, theories are solicited! Thanks
128x128maritime51
I should reiterate that the condition was first discovered with a McIntosh C15/MC202 combination and persisted unchanged with the Rotel RC 1590 and RB 1590.

Lastly, I’d like to thank everyone for trying to help. While the cause and origin may remain a mystery, I can’t live with it. In any event, I otherwise love the sound of the R900 and believe that KEF designs and manufactures great products. But, as with all manufacturers, things can happen....

The Doc is right: there is inherent risk in buying direct, and if you can accept that, it is fine.
Hey OP, I hope you are able to figure out a solution that doesn't involve the nearest dumpster, and am delighted to read you used the word "idiopathic".

Tom
Thanks! I have my opinions, and others theirs’, though I’ve decades of experience in the field of defending products.

I replaced a 20 year old pair of Martin Logan speakers with the R900, and offered a bargain price to the buyer so they didn’t go to a dumpster.

I may do the same with these as otherwise they are lovely to listen to, but I can’t live with this-it is as irritating as nails on a chalkboards! 😱

Unless someone has some non speculative opinion on cause and origin, I suggest we treat the issue as unresolved, but done. 
It’s a big risk to buy without demo,if you don’t like the Kef sell them .what you're describing is typical to overbright speakers .Next time make sure to make a demo before buying.
Uh, what does overbright mean in this context?

I did hear them at a local Magnolia.