Recommendations for a few high SQ classical CDs

I have a modest collection of classical music CDs, most of it symphonic works, maybe 20-30 CDs at most. Most of my musical interest is with rock, roots rock and blues but I do enjoy classical music but have limited knowledge and experience.

I am also a new audiophile with my first hifi system for about a month now.

I would like some specific recommendations on just a few symphonies (for now). What I am looking for at this point is good CD recordings rather than the nature of the performance/conductor/orchestra. In other words, I'm looking for SQ first and performance quality second. I know that might sound backwards but I don't have enough knowledge to have a major preference between performances but I can hear SQ. Certainly a great recording of a great performance is ideal.

To keep things limited I am specifically interested in these works:

Beethoven's 9th
Mahler's 4th
Dvorak's 4th
Brahm's 4th

Certainly open to other symphonies by these composers. I have the works listed above and other symphonies by them as well.

Thanks for any recommendations,

George

n80
Nice to have a post on music.

For classical I would stay away from fancy formats and stick with great performances that are well recorded.

For the 9th I really like Solti conducting the Chicago symphony. I grew up thinking Berlin and Bernstein were the best. Now I’m very partial to Chicago. Lots of energy and the brass section is outstanding. 

Another tip I can give is to consider anything on the Naxos label. Great music great performances and very good sound quality overall. Can’t go wrong. 

Happy listening. 

I would label Mahler's 1st as an introduction to Mahler, or "Mahler 101." It's a very good composition, but doesn't show the genius of his later works. A very good quality 1st is Riccardo Muti with the Philadelphia Orchestra on EMI.

I like symphonies that were recorded on analogue tape, then mastered for CD. I can highly recommend James Levine's Maher #4 and the rest of his series with the Chicago and Philadelphia Orch. from the late 70s on RCA Red Seal.

You'll find that the best quality classical recordings to be found are produced by a handful of record labels who specialized in this area. They employed top engineers and used recording techniques specific to this genre.

Solti's Beethoven #9 from 1972 on London Records (remastered) is a masterpiece. The sound quality is very good for a recording from that era, but the performance is unlike any other 9th...and superior to his later digital release.
  I usually prefer a quicker tempo for Beethoven, but Solti's interpretation with the Chicago Symphony is something very special.

Get the Chesky re-issues of Dvorak’s Ninth (the "New World" symphony) and Brahms’ First, both conducted by the great Jascha Horenstein, and prepare to be amazed! You will not believe that they were recorded in 1962.

Both are out of print but are offered by various sellers at Amazon.

Regards,
-- Al
A couple of very high quality and relatively modern recordings of excellent performances -

Mahler Symphony #1 on Telarc by Zander. This disc includes a wonderful rendition of Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen. The sound quality is excellent. The program really satisfies me.

One not mentioned (by you), but if you want a really high quality (read demo quality) I highly recommend Copland’s Third Symphony by Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra on Reference Recording. It includes "fanfare for the common man" which is especially notable  sound reproduction wise.

Another piece you didn’t mention, which is really a symphony in disguise, Rachmaninoff’s Symphonic Dances by Eiji Oue on Reference Recordings. A very dramatic piece and accessible. More demo music.

FWIW, most older RR recordings are audiophile wet dreams.