Which material sounds better for speakers construction? Wood, Ply or MDF?

Im guessing they use mdf these days because its cheaper.

vinny55

The worst were the Wilson’s.  Magico’s were overly deadened to my ears.  Anyway, just saying I hear a dramatically improved sound with a well done wood speaker.  Harbeth uses this approach as well I believe.

The founders of Harbeth and Spendor did a lot of pioneering research into cabinet materials. Both companies now use cabinets made of MDF - and both are widely regarded as producing some of the most lifelike mids in the biz. 

The problem with solid woods and ply woods is their inconsistency, their susceptibility to warping and greater difficulty in machining. Even voidless birch ply will have slight variations between batches that can make it difficult to create a consistent sound. Musical instruments suffer this same problem. I've played brand new guitars of the same make, model that sounded very different from each other, even after professional setup. 

Daveb, sorry, I really misread your post, but those who know me, know that happens at times.  It's the MS to be honest, so sorry if my post came off wrong.  I agree, if you get a good feeling, that's what it's all about.  I could easily live with Harbeth as they are just musical.  Not the last word for detail or extension, but very nice speakers for anything.

I agree on natural wood and ply.  It really is a big deal too.  Especially when the cabinets aren't close to identical.  Worse than not matching your caps and resistors in the crossover. lol
Vince at Totem makes cabinets impervious to environmental variations.  They are unique in the industry.  He also makes crossovers like few, if any others do.  
Vince at Totem makes cabinets impervious to environmental variations.

Gotta love these sort of claims. No such cabinet exists, nor will it ever exist. Just as no driver is absolutely perfect, neither is any cabinet or crossover. 
Ok Helomech the great...protector of things absolute!  Within the normal standards of cabinet design, Totem makes their speakers far less susceptible to various environmental conditions.  Their crossovers are special by virtue of quality and tolerances as well as being hardwired by hand.