Does hearing the best in high end audio make your opinions more valid?

I say yes. Some say no. What are your thoughts?
calvinj
It does if you have a good perspective it helps you understand different  sounding high end set ups.You can compare them and get a sound perspective if you know what to listen for.Enjoy!!
Depends. I used to go to hifi shows and listen to big expensive esoteric systems I wouldn’t be caught owning in a million years, even if I had a million to spend on such a thing. Curly-spiral-shaped speakers that looked like they come off the set of The Fifth Element, pressure cylindrical sound pumps (MBL $70,000 with frequency and step responses that are crap), horns, water cooled tube amps (where were the goldfish?), Nordost cable spray a/b demos (after an exhaustive half hour lecture on why this works, all eager ears, no one was impressed!), reps snorting coke in the bathrooms, all the above complete and uttter nonsense/bs to me at high $$$$$ and not one that sounded good. So, I listened, and I listened, and when I got home I felt so fortunate that, over time, and few mistakes, I had built, refined and set up properly a good sounding rig that well played the music I like and that I could chill to and hang with my audio buds every now and then.

And +1 glupson and onhwy61: best is an oxymoron in the land of music reproduction equipment.
"Does hearing the best in high end audio make your opinions more valid"?

Opinions to the extent you can or should influence the opinions of others: My sense is, no. I have listened to numerous high-end systems in a group setting and recognize that perspective/opinions varied.

To the extent that you form a personal opinion of what is possible and what you personally find exhilarating, definitely. 

So, it seems to me, the benefit is very personal, but; doesn't make you an expert. A similar correlation exists with Art collectors. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
I think listening to a variety of things and understanding what bring you pleasure is important.

I’m not really interested in what others may claim is best.

Peace,

E

I agree with E. "I think listening to a variety of things and understanding what brings you pleasure is important." There is no such animal as the best in Audio, only preferences!