CD player just tanked.

Brief introduction: I just recently inherited a hifi system (Audio Research LS16 pre-amp, Proceed HPA2 amp, Aerial Acoustics 7B tower speakers, Arcam CD92 CD player). I'm new to this audiophile stuff but am enjoying the system and learning about it.

Was listening to Dark Side of the Moon CD tonight when suddenly it sounded like the music was coming out of a can. Put in another CD, same thing. My only other source of input is iTunes via a head phone jack/RCA Y cable into the pre-amp. That sounds fine.

So I'm assuming it is the CD player but it seems like an odd sort of issue. I think this CD player is probably 15 years old but I see similar models on eBay for $300+. Wondering if it is worth trying to repair or if that is even possible. I'm also wondering if this could be a problem with the CD input 'channel' on the pre-amp. I guess I could plug the CD into the Aux input on the pre-amp and see.

Any thoughts appreciated.
n80
Look, this CAN be an expensive hobby. You decide. I don’t know you or your wife but she may be right about returning to your 70’s system. Before you do that, ditch the Arcam and replace it with your Sony CD player. If all else fails, there’s always that Rotel/B&W system.
See above. That's what I did. I thought that I would not hear a difference between CD players but I'm pretty sure I do. I'll plug along with the Sony but maybe I'll upgrade CD players if I keep at this.

I got the Rotel/B&W system. Huge powered subwoofer, two tower speakers and a center speaker. All pretty beat up. There was a surround sound pre-amp and a large 5 channel amp. The amp and pre-amp are very foreign to me. No method for simple two channel hook up. I doubt the B&W towers are as good as my current Aerial Acoustics and I don't need the subwoofer. I might use the towers with my old receiver but I doubt 25 watts will drive them. The subwoofer is powered but I could not get it to drive the speakers. No sound from speakers at all even though the subwoofer was going.  I'll download the manuals but suspect all that stuff is going back in my brother-in-laws garage.
And for the record, my wife wasn't complaining really. The old system is still in use and hifi system is still in use. She just thinks its funny that two weeks ago I was happy with the old system and now I'm all fussy about SQ.
You have been given plenty- go spend $300-$500 on a good used cd player and be done with it. You are so far ahead of the game already as far as cost expenditure.  I have a Nakamichi cd player that is literally 20 years old and it rocks. I also have a yamaha Natural sound CD player I got off the Gon for $140 and it works wonderfully. I also have a pair of Focal Kanta No 2's that work nicely too.(understatement )   Point being - gear will last a real long time if not abused. a nice dinner out for 2 is like $120 to $150 + so what's $500 for the next 10 years? 
I'm warming to the sound of the Sony. I'm sure my ears/brain are playing tricks on me. But, if I come to the conclusion that it is really inferior then I'll do some research and shop around. I've been told that the CD player doesn't make a big difference. I don't know what the truth is.

I also made the comparison (between the Sony and the dead Arcam) right after I turned the system on and even the pre-amp owner's manual says it needs time to warm up so that could why I thought it didn't sound as good. I've been listening a couple of hours now and don't notice a big difference.