New to HiFi, need digital advice.

I am not an audiophile but I recently acquired a really nice high end system for free. (AR LS16 preamp, Madrigal Proceed HPA2 amp, Arcam CD92 CD player, Aerial Acoustics 7B tower speakers.  I have been learning as much as I can over the last week since I got it.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to put together a decent but not necessarily high end digital input system for as little money as possible.

So here is my plan. I know it is not high end and probably not commensurate with my system but hopefully will meet my needs:

Old iMac using iTunes to manage flac or alac files plugged into Schiit Modi 2 via USB cable and then into preamp via USB cable. I can us Apple's remote app on my iPhone to select/play music remotely (Works great).

Does this sound reasonable? If so it will only cost me about $100 for the Schiit DAC and $25 for a decent set of RCA cables (already purchased) and whatever I might need to spend on the USB cable. Anything I should know about the USB cable for this?

Thanks for the advice and apologies for my ignorance in all of this.

George
n80
lowrider, thanks for the clarification. I'll check it out when I get home.

I do not have any sort of USB setup or DAC at this point. I'm just exploring options and seeing what I can get away with on the cheap.

I've probably got 20 CDs 'ripped' but just at the basic iTunes settings so in essence I'll be starting from scratch if I decide to go this route.
@n80  Bluesound Node has analog and digital outs.  If you prefer to use the included DAC, then connect the analog outputs to your pre amp.  If you wish to use another DAC, then connect the digital outputs of the Node2 to the digital inputs of the DAC.
  Some preamps now come with a DAC included, which makes these generic explanations less clear...
lowrider said:

"n80, if your Mac is running OS 10.4 to about 10.6 you will see the Optical Digital Out Port setting in System Preferences/Sound as soon as the Y-cord is inserted into the headphone jack. Otherwise, Preferences/Sound will display Internal Speakers."

I think you must be yanking my chain now. It does change from internal speakers to headphone but nothing there but balance and volume. that's with 10.6 and 10.8.
Are you using a 1/8-inch stereo mini-phono plug adapter? This plugs into the headphone jack and the Mac will recognise if you are using headphones or a digital interface.

You only use the Mac volume if using headphones. For digital output, the preamp in your system controls volume.