New to HiFi, need digital advice.

I am not an audiophile but I recently acquired a really nice high end system for free. (AR LS16 preamp, Madrigal Proceed HPA2 amp, Arcam CD92 CD player, Aerial Acoustics 7B tower speakers.  I have been learning as much as I can over the last week since I got it.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to put together a decent but not necessarily high end digital input system for as little money as possible.

So here is my plan. I know it is not high end and probably not commensurate with my system but hopefully will meet my needs:

Old iMac using iTunes to manage flac or alac files plugged into Schiit Modi 2 via USB cable and then into preamp via USB cable. I can us Apple's remote app on my iPhone to select/play music remotely (Works great).

Does this sound reasonable? If so it will only cost me about $100 for the Schiit DAC and $25 for a decent set of RCA cables (already purchased) and whatever I might need to spend on the USB cable. Anything I should know about the USB cable for this?

Thanks for the advice and apologies for my ignorance in all of this.

George
n80
Thanks guys. I think I'l check on Bitperfect. I'll also see how far I can upgrade the OS on the old iMac. I was really hoping to find a use for it.

Given the recommendations above I'd be into this for close $500 (which is not bad all things considered) but I'm still not sure how deep I want to dive into this hobby. I think in the meantime I will work on my CD collection. I know that is 'old tech' these days but I already have a good CD player and CDs sound awesome on this system already without me spending a penny.

Just ordered Dark Side of the Moon and Aja CDs to replace my iTunes versions.

If I decide to put together a digital system I can always rip these CDs later.

Will look into streaming as well.

Thanks again.
Another dumb question: How do I get streaming from my computer into the pre-amp? Would this also require a DAC?
+1 clio09. Start out using itunes then consider other playback programs. Rip your CDs as AIFF files. Buy the little Schiit DAC you proposed, a Belden Gold USB cable, and a pair of Audioquest Evergreen interconnects used, no longer than needed. The DAC will serve streaming as well. 

Another dumb question: How do I get streaming from my computer into the pre-amp? Would this also require a DAC?

The Shiit DAC would work.  I you got one of the microrendu devices from Sonore, you can go from Ethernet to USB to the Shiit DAC.

Then you can use Ethernet/WIFI from your computer to your Router and Ethernet to the Rendu.  Then USB cable from Rendu to the DAC.  This will allow you to use apps like Amazon Prime music, Linn Kazoo or Roon/Tidal to drive the DAC.  Most audiophiles use Roon/Tidal.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Okay, so I'm testing the waters. Trying to tell what's going to be real and important to me and what isn't.

So, I brought the old iMac down and ripped Synchronicity by the Police into it using the computer's CD drive. AIFF file. Then played it back through the headphone jack with a 'y' cable (a good one) and it just did not sound good. Put the actual CD into the CD player and compared them back and forth. The difference is huge. Of course.

I know I'm comparing worst case vs best case but it does tell me.....I think... that there is no sense spending time and money running stuff through iTunes and a headphone jack.

I might try to upgrade the OS on the iMac to where it will run Bitperfect through the Schiit DAC. I realize that is still low end....but it will have to be better than what I just heard.