Help me pick a phono, pre and cart

Hi all,
My WF spending restraints are going away so I’m going to upgrade my system.
I primarily play CD, but also have an MMF-5 with Glass platter, Golding GX1022 cart going through a Clear Audio Nano to Ayre Ax-7e to Sig 2 Ce’s.

This year I’m going to Quatro CT’s and upgrading my vinyl pre and source side. Next year I’m upgrading my main pre and power amp.

I’m looking for help in picking a phono player pre and cart. My musical taste is pretty wide: female vocals, rock, blues, jazz; not much classical on vinyl. Think Amy Winehouse/Cold Specks/Pixies/Weezer/Jeff Beck/Johnny Winter/Winton Marsalis and Maynard Ferguson for you other old timers. LOL
My budget is about $8-10k

Right now my main thoughts are VPI Prime Scout or Prime with Grado Statement series cart, and an Ayre Px-5e pre.
In addition to specific item recommendations, I’m very interested in how to split the budget item wise. In other words more or less on player vs cart vs pre, I.e. Scout with Statement2 or Prime with Reference2 for example. Or go higher than 20-30% on the pre?
I lean towards spending the most on what’s least upgradeable - sorry if that’s too general or obvious.
Thanks much
Jim

jetson
Dear @bpoletti : Many years ago I heard the VTPH-1 MC version and latter on the VTPH paired with the Shelter 90X and latter that same Herron with the XV-1 by Dynavector.

I know very well both cartridges because I owned and even that the Herron sounds " so so "/good in reality can’t honor the true both cartridges quality level performance I knew and know it has.

The Herron is made at a price point but it has in the LOMC and MM cartridge signal tubes and tubes are not for audio any more, we have to remember that we are living in 2018 ! !.

I don’t have to repeat/analize what I’m sure you already read about in some other threads from my posts in that specific tube regards and how damage the audio signal and why damages it.

That many people are accustomed to tubes only says that: are accustomed to but in any way says is rigth because is totaly wrong to use tubes in audio signal home systems. No matters what.

That many persons like what is wrong does not converts it in the rigth way/rigth road to go.

A good SS design always ( and I mean it. ) performs truer to the recording, tubes can’t do it.

That you as other gentlemans are accustomed to and are unaware of the damages it produce means only that: that are unaware of those damages.

Yes, we all need to grow up learning into our each day by day audio experiences ( everykind of. ).

I remember you that for years I owned tubes till I learned till I took in count what in reality I was accustomed to listen with tube electronics. No comeback there at any price. I'm for MUSIC and its emotional envolve.

R.
@rauliruegas It's obvious from your latest comment that you don't have any clue about the design of the VTPH-2a.  That's not my opinion, it is a reflection of facts.  The Herron VTPH-2a is not a pure tube phono stage.  And your statement  " A good SS design always ( and I mean it. ) performs truer to the recording, tubes can’t do it."  is unfounded in any facts.  And you can present no proof that supports your statement.  Facts do not support your description of the VTPH-2a.  Your hatred of Herron Audio equipment is hard to understand.  

I would forward that opinion that the Herron Audio VTPH-2a is the best in the field.  I have not heard any better phono stage at any price.  The price point you suggest is a figment, a fabrication, in your own mind.  Just because it isn't unaffordably expensive or have a 3 inch thick face plate and weigh 100 pounds does not mean it is cheap or limited in performance.  That is your error.  

Dear @bpoletti : Of course that I know is a hybrid design, that's why I specified that I listened the VTHP-1 MC VERSION. Even that use SS at the input high gain stage the signal pass through tubes and this is the main subject:  signal pass through tubes.

"""   I have not heard any better phono stage at any price.  """ and that's why you are unaware of what I posted.

I don't know which all SS units you already tested and with what kind of surrounded audio items and really is not important because your statement speaks by its self. You are totally unaware of tubes degradation to the audio signal. You are very well trained by that corrupted AHEE.

Are you happy with tubes? just follow sticky with when I'm really enjoying in true and real today audio world the MUSIC that's in the LP recorded grooves with a lot lower degradation that what you are doing and this fact you can't change it till you disappears from your room/audio system each single tube in the audio signal.

Simple as that.

R.
@rauliruegas Your earlier criticisms of the Herron VTPH-2a contradict your back-peddling comment.  And your statement " A good SS design always ( and I mean it. ) performs truer to the recording, tubes can’t do it." is not supported in fact.  

Maybe the real flawed component is your credibility.
I’ve yet to hear a tube phono better solid state myself. Raul’s right about that, as far as I’m concerned.