Why is Oppo stopping products.

Just went to their website and they are no longer making new products. 
kw6
@vpi ,

I was responding to @wolf_garcia  post about in-dash CD Players no longer being installed in new cars.  While I have a decent sound system in the car, I realize that it is not an ideal listening environment.   I have Bluetooth 5.0 capability in the car and in my phone, so it can handle my 24/192 Lossless FLAC files with no problem.  My point was that constantly loading and unloading discs/disc changers was a real PITA.  

As for using my phone as a playback device, it has an ESS SabreDAC ES9218P D/A converter that supports 32/384 and DSD256.  For IEM's I use JH Audio Layla's and Campfire Audio Vega's.  At the gym I use Periodic Audio Be's.  I have a very,very, very large memory card plus the internal storage for my music.  It makes a great portable rig for the gym, waiting rooms, grocery shopping or just chilling in the back yard enjoying nature.  I don't own any earbud thingy's.

I do have a dedicated listening room.  It was tuned/designed by Rives Audio.  Speakers are ML Summit X's which are soon to be replaced with ML Renaissance 15A's.  I own both an Oppo 105D and a 203.  I was going to order a 205, but just cant justify it.

I watch about two movies a week on Blu-ray, and two movies a month on UHD-Bluray.  I never spin CD's anymore.  New music purchases are either downloaded or ripped and then transferred to the music server and phone.  I have a whole plethora of music streaming devices. 

I too moorn the loss of Oppo.  I too agree that they made great players and a very good price point.  

Less and less people are buying/renting video disc every year.  Less than 4% of Netflix subscribers still get discs in the mail.  Best Buy and Target are drastically parring down the number of CD's they carry.  Best Buy is having a hard time moving $79 UHD-Bluray players.  Let's face it, Disc Spinners are a dying breed.  I really enjoyed the tweekie nature of vinyl and reading the jackets and liner notes; I never developed that romanticism  with CD's.

Hope this clarifies things.
All the best,

I had an interesting discussion over email with Oppo’s Australian Distributor (Interdyn) recently. They told me that Oppo will only continue to release firmware updates in a limited capacity, focusing primarily on bug fixes and the like. They said they do not expect new codecs or formats to be supported going forward, meaning legacy players could start to become superceded in a relatively short timeframe. That makes a strong argument for new players like the Pioneer UDP-LX500 in my books. Technology is changing so fast, why would you want to spend big $ on a boat anchor?

I need a turntable for my car...tube preferably...I now hear CDs are going to have a revival like vinyl, and be the "next big thing."
@wolf_garcia 

You joke, but in the 50's and 60's there were actually record players for cars.  

-----

I do occasionally miss playing vinyl.  I really liked my Linn Sondek, CJ Sonographe and Ariston.  However, I don't miss the Delphi Oracle MK4.  It was sooo finicky and prone to vibration.  I remember spending a lot more time setting up to play a side than it actually took to play a side.  After dropping the stylus, I would tip toe over to the listening chair and very gentle sit down.  I eventually purchased a very heavy Rockport TT stand.  Flooring was subfloor over concrete slab.  The next step was to tear up the floor and re-do it; I wasn't going there.

BTW - Delphi still makes their reference CD turntables.