DO CABLES REALLY MATTER?

Yes they do.  I’m not here to advocate for any particular brand but I’ve heard a lot and they do matter. High Fidelity reveal cables, Kubala Sosna Elation and Clarity Cable Natural. I’m having a listening session where all of them is doing a great job. I’ve had cables that were cheaper in my system but a nicely priced cable that matches your system is a must.  I’m not here to argue what I’m not hearing because I have a pretty good ear.  I’m enjoying these three brands today and each is presenting the music differently but very nicely. Those who say cables don’t matter. Get your ears checked.  I have a system that’s worth about 30 to 35k retail.  Now all of these brands are above 1k and up but they really are performing! What are your thoughts. 
calvinj
Sorry, that’s not really what I meant by pro audio. Besides all the old pros are overly compressing the life out of CDs just like the young dudes so the hell with em. Times, they’ve changed. Those were the good old days. 😛
There are also differences in the monitor speakers or earphones  used in the booth, plus differences in the mixing consoles.
As far as the actual physics of how the sound is sent a cable will NOT make any difference in sound. Now with that said I advocate for spending a decent amount of money on cables because they are still an important part of a system. Just get the cable that is nice enough that it doesn’t fray and you should be good and you will get the best sound. But that is reality, audiophiling is a lot like wine tasting, the more you know you spent the better the wine tastes. So that means if you want your system to sound better, upgrade your cables and it will... I’m saying that upgrading your cables WILL make a difference if you want them to, it is purely psychological.
I’ve been searching for the best sound for decades and what I’ve found is that electron transport is essential but that task is performed by the cheapest connections so long as they’re not compromised by faults. Bad shielding, mostly.  99+% of the hype for connections is snake oil.  The biggest bang comes with dough spent on speakers, then on electronics. 

IMO, tubes/analog are more pleasing than digital, and great speakers are sublime Speakers are the key.
Do cables really matter?
Yes. They transmit the signal.

What are your thoughts.

Do you really want to know the answer? Your original post is somehow, in advance, dismissive of those who say the cables don't matter.

I find them, to some irrational level, increasing the pleasure of overall experience without changing the sound. Of course, provided that they are not cracked with loose contacts, or something like that.

My hearing is fine. My experience with multi-thousand-Dollar cables very limited.