DO CABLES REALLY MATTER?

Yes they do.  I’m not here to advocate for any particular brand but I’ve heard a lot and they do matter. High Fidelity reveal cables, Kubala Sosna Elation and Clarity Cable Natural. I’m having a listening session where all of them is doing a great job. I’ve had cables that were cheaper in my system but a nicely priced cable that matches your system is a must.  I’m not here to argue what I’m not hearing because I have a pretty good ear.  I’m enjoying these three brands today and each is presenting the music differently but very nicely. Those who say cables don’t matter. Get your ears checked.  I have a system that’s worth about 30 to 35k retail.  Now all of these brands are above 1k and up but they really are performing! What are your thoughts. 
calvinj
I totally agree with you Calvinj. I don’t need an astrophysicist’s level of understanding how a sunset works to enjoy one.
Right On! calvinj
I have always wanted to audition KS cables and power cords. This company used to have many dealers/retailers. Lately, I have noticed a cut-back in their network?  Feel free to give a shout-out for your local establishment.
Happy Listening!
Thanks fellas. They do sound great. Too bad I ain’t got a brinks truck. Honestly though Kubala elation is great but high fidelity reveal and clarity Cable both do a great job for a lot cheaper.  Just in different ways. On another note I’m tired of the space Martian copper talk when it comes to Cables. If it uses iron from zamunda and don’t sound good I could care less! 
nonoise,
I don't think your analogy quite gets around my point.
If you had a richly detailed Ansel Adams photo, and took a picture of it with a newer camera producing a new version,  every bit of detail you swoon about when looking at that photo speaks to the quality of the original equipment used to take it.   The new camera can't introduce any more information than was already there in the original photo.  So long as we are talking about reproducing the original photo with fidelity (as opposed to taking new photos), it's the information on the original photo that is the only thing left to impress us.

Similarly, every time an audiophile with expensive cables swoons over the finger picking on strings, or delicate reverb trails in his system, he is swooning over the information conveyed by the original cables used for the recording. The cables used in creating the source didn't need to be one "better" (and more expensive) than the one preceding it.   If cables used for the creation of the source (again...LOTS are involved along the way) were THAT detrimental to the signal, the sound reaching your system would be crap, whatever cables you used to try and get that information back.  But that's not the case - you will still be amazed at the signal you are listening to because non-audiophile cables - many of them one after the other - are fully capable of preserving the detail you are hearing.  A well constructed cable should continue to reproduce the full signal fed to it, and on to the next (properly chosen) cable. 

Your appeal to mastering eaking out more detail is a red herring here:  that's a function of playing with fequency response/eq/compression to emphasize whatever the mastering engineer wishes to emphasize - or "fix" by re-balancing the signal.  The engineer would still be using only the information available to him that made it through the original cables used for the source.

calvinj,

It seems to me, at least thus far, that you only wanted a one-way conversation: you telling us cables make a difference, asking what we thought, but not really caring and implying critical questions are just jibber jabber.

Did you not think it worth replying to my question to you?