New Adcom 👀585 SE. anybody heard this monster

Ladies
I am thinking this could be fun to buy 2 of these place in bridge mode and get
about 900 watts of juice each side.   My Revel ultima 2 Salons are very hungry
Has anyone heard these.   Only 3k each

128x128blueskiespbd
Post removed 

@blueskiespbd - The Aragon sound is a very warm sound with slightly rolledoff / smooshed highs. The highs are there, but they definitely rich sounding and slower than other amps.  The Aragon doesn't have a huge amount of attach / resolution / detail.  If you love this sound, then great.  Generally speaker, older amps may need to replace the electrolytic capacitors as they can dry out.

At this point, the only reason to change amps is if you're looking for different sound.  Monoblocks such as Bryston 7B series or Parasound JC1 will have a lot more detail and attack than the Aragon.  It's really a personal preference. The Aragon Palladium will have enough current to run your Revel speakers.

Auxinput 7-1-2018

If you look at Parasound A21 specs:

250 watts x 2 into 8 ohm

400 watts x 2 into 4 ohm

750 watts x 1 into 8 ohm (bridged)

If each channel of the amp only saw half the load in bridged mode, it would want to push 400 watts, not 750 watts.

Hi Auxinput,

My previous response, while accurate, did not specifically address this comment.

As I’m sure you realize, for a resistive load P = E x I, where P is power, E is voltage, and I is current.

The increase in the maximum power rating of solid state amps which occurs when load impedance is reduced from 8 ohms to 4 ohms reflects the fact that nearly all solid state amps act as voltage sources. Meaning that they will maintain an essentially constant output voltage as load impedance varies, as long as they are not asked to exceed their maximum voltage, current, power, and thermal capabilities.

So the increase from 250 watts to 400 watts that you referred to reflects I (current) increasing substantially as a result of R decreasing, ***but reflects E remaining the same.*** And as I’m sure you realize, some amps can provide up to 2x as much power into 4 ohms as into 8 ohms, reflecting a 2x increase in current due to R being cut in half while E remains constant.

In bridged mode, on the other hand, E across the load and I through the load ***BOTH*** double (compared to stereo mode, and provided that the amp can supply the required current), while R remains the same. Therefore, since P = E x I, ideally P can increase up to 4x, as I said in my previous post.

Best regards,
-- Al