Does JBL get a bad rap?

For years, all one heard regarding almost any JBL product, especially vintage consumer grade products was that they were all boom(bass) and sizzle( highs). I feel this is an unfair generalization. Surprisingly, I find much of their budget minded gear(80s-90s) actually soft in the treble and very non-fatiguing(titanium laminate tweeters). I also have experienced the L100T and found them fairly well balanced and nuetral. The midrange does lack some realism magic especially on vocals but so do other highly touted speakers. In short, I am a little late to the game in regards to the JBL, but as a mainstream maker I am impressed. And that doesn't even take into account their 4xxx studio monitors which are highly regarded. Back me up jbl fans!
128x128phasecorrect
Hello Audiolabyrinth......WE WERE SPEAKING OF VINTAGE JBL"S FROM 40 YEARS AGO! I am not living under a rock! of course I know all about the new production JBL line.
I bought the JBL 250Ti's on 1985 and could have bought anything at that time (and did listen to many). They weren't perfect--but their (relatively) unrestricted dynamics, wide frequency response and excellent(for the time) lively Titanium tweeter made music - as opposed to other speakers whose crossovers ( and inferior drivers) killed natural dynamics in favor of a flatter (or tighter) frequency response.( I sold my Quad electrostatics (excellent) as soon as we heard the 250Ti's). The JBL's were the first speakers I knew of that could really deal with the dynamics of a full orchestra-- while staying very relaxed. I still own them; they still rock.
Hi mattmiller, believe it or not, there really is not a whole lot of people who know about the current cost no object JBL line of speakers, they are not on the JBL mass produced speakers internet site, this JBL line that Dave_72 speaks of is an entirely different and seperate JBL company that is under the JBL umbrella, I was not tring to offend you, as a matter of fact, I never heard of these top high-end JBL speakers untill 2012 myself,This JBL line of speakers is still not getting the buzz here in the u.s.a. like they do world-wide, the japenesse love this line of JBL speakers, so I do not believe it is uncommon for someone to ask if they have heard of this line of JBL speakers, cheers.
Ptss: Those are the reasons they are considered classics, and rightfully so.

Audiolabyrinth: Exactly right. Imo, the high end JBLs hold their own and often times beat the big favorites in high end audio. For example, B&W 800 series, KEF reference, Harbeth, Avalon, ProAc, Wilson, and more. The only other 2 bands that I'll consider if I ever sell these JBLs are Tannoy Prestige and the bigger ATCs.
Audiolabyrinth
True. On the day when JBL introduces new line of their speakers in the USA other brands can close their business.
I recently purchased 4319 which is moderate to low in new
line hierarchy. By the way, the speakers were tuned by
Keyeso Nigurava, Asymmetrical ports diameter, 27Hz - 40Khz, 92.5db. Internal wiring - Cardas Gold. Listened with the Pathos InPol amplifier and the sound was amazing, from the
jazz to heavy bass dance music. Two days later I sold my
Totem Wind and Focal Aria speakers. I just can imagine how their higher end speakers sounds. The only problem would be the price.
For now they are to expensive if you would import them from
Japan. The good thing is that you can order them with the
three different upgrades (cross over, internal wiring and
custom tuned ports). Standard versions also sounds good but with the less bass since the Japanese prefer more mid/high levels. Soon I will offer them on Audiogon to finance
purchase of 4365 speakers. They are also tuned by Mr.Nigurava. Specs are: 19Hz-43Khz, 93Db. But the price.....