Audio Research Ref 10 vs 40th Anniversary preamp

I was wondering what the difference in the sound between the Ref 10 and the 40th ? Not much wrote about that. I btw have the Ref 6 but never heard the 10 or the 40th. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
Tattoo.... no doubt you heared what you did. Congratulations, I do consider the REF 6 to be outstanding.  I’m sort of waiting for a REF 10 at a price I can’t wskj away from.  Not there yet.  However, when Audio Research comes out with the next REF unit above the 10, people will sell their 10s to get the newer unit and maybe I could afford it then.  

Enjoy
There’s no discernable difference in the basic circuit besides the microelectronics. The output film caps and the original PS 6550C tubes used are different. There’s a noticeable difference in sonics between the REF40’s SED Winged "C" 6550C and the REF10’s Sovtek WEs with the former being a little warmer and a touch more laid back and the latter emphasizing the leading edge and a little more upfront. Can’t speak to the caps, but I’m sure they’re likely the rest of the difference. I prefer the SED winged Cs, but you may like the current tube and maybe the REF10 better. I actually like the Sovteks better in the REF10 phono than the SED Winged Cs but neither are my favorite. Go figure.
Run dont walk and listen to the Coincident Line Stage
it will sound more transparent,open and as dynamic as the Ref 10.
Unlike AR, Coincident is made with point to point wiring no circuit boards, no capacitors in the signal path, Direct Heated Triode 101 tubes and seperate 45 lb. power supply.

As above,Optimal Enchantment (great name for an Audio shop) is a Hallmark for retail brick-and-mortar that has been around for a long time. I can remember their ads in Stereophile / TAS back in the 1990's. Good to read that these guys are alive and well.Happy Listening!
Just traded in my ARC Ref 5SE for a ARC Ref 6 today.  Here are my reactions, …  FWIW.  

Is the Ref 6 a better sounding unit than the Ref 5SE?  IMO, yes.  Here's why.  First off, bass is tighter, but not in an exaggerated sense.  Just better low end and midrange detail.  The sound stage is more open.  I get a sense that there's less clutter to the imaging and a more coherent presentation of the musical performance.  To my old ears, it is a palpable difference.  To die for?  No.  But to appreciate and enjoy?  Yes. 

That said, do I think the Ref 5SE is a sonic slouch?  Absolutely not!  Both units share similar ARC house sound characteristics.  But the Ref 6 does tease out more detail and a better sense of a uniform sound stage with few gaps.  

I surmise that the Ref 10 and Ref 40 are of similar genre to the Ref 6, ... just more of the same.  Admittedly, I have never heard the Ref 10 or Ref 40, but generously assume (based on member comments) that they are a cut above the Ref 6.

As I listen to more source material, I will add more comments if I think worth passing along.   

Regards,

BIF