Does JBL get a bad rap?

For years, all one heard regarding almost any JBL product, especially vintage consumer grade products was that they were all boom(bass) and sizzle( highs). I feel this is an unfair generalization. Surprisingly, I find much of their budget minded gear(80s-90s) actually soft in the treble and very non-fatiguing(titanium laminate tweeters). I also have experienced the L100T and found them fairly well balanced and nuetral. The midrange does lack some realism magic especially on vocals but so do other highly touted speakers. In short, I am a little late to the game in regards to the JBL, but as a mainstream maker I am impressed. And that doesn't even take into account their 4xxx studio monitors which are highly regarded. Back me up jbl fans!
128x128phasecorrect
It's probably my age, but I lose interest in companies when I no longer understand their product line. In the 70's, I knew that the JBL L200 was a step up from the L100, and the L300 a step up from the L200. Today, JBL has a "synthesis line...1400 array, s3900," their Everest 6600 (or is it 6700) model and probably many others. I prefer companies that make a limited number of products, like Quad or Magnaplanar, at specific well-defined price points. I do love the vintage JBL models and I'm always tempted when I see an ad here on Audiogon for a pair of S7R, S8R or any of the early models mentioned above.
Yes, it can get a bit complicated regarding JBL, both consumer and high end.

So, for the Hell of it, I'll try and make sense of it for you.

Top of the line: Everest 67000

2nd from top: k29900

Now, here's where it gets tricky...the middle of the line. You have the 1400 Arrays, S3900s, and S4700s all battling for prominence. Each model is comparable to the other, and each model bests the other in certain departments. It just depends on your room, your taste, and what have you. I can say that the 1400 Array and S4700s (which I use) are very close in sound, with the Arrays having a touch better midrange, but the bass in the S4700 is superior. I chose the S4700s over the Arrays because I didn't want to have to assemble anything, and with the arrays, you have to assemble the vertical horn to the bass cabinet. I'm kind of a klutz, so that was a no go. I love the sound of them, but ultimately they are not for me.

bottom of the line: there really isn't any. Unless you want to count the Studio 590s, not really a high end model, but JBL seems to think otherwise. I just heard them last weekend, and they were ok, but the mids and highs are a bit subdued for my tastes. I know other people would love it, citing it as warm and smooth.

Below that you have the Studio L890s, Studio 290s, and so on an so forth. I used to use the Studio L890s, and at the price I paid ($800 USD)they were serious bang for the buck. I still have them and I'm debating whether to sell them or not. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, I hope this helps!
10-21-14: Phasecorrect
Similiar to planar speakers..."they have no bass!"...
Phasecorrect, were you also refering to B&W speakers?
Even huge ones have no bass... True!