Does JBL get a bad rap?

For years, all one heard regarding almost any JBL product, especially vintage consumer grade products was that they were all boom(bass) and sizzle( highs). I feel this is an unfair generalization. Surprisingly, I find much of their budget minded gear(80s-90s) actually soft in the treble and very non-fatiguing(titanium laminate tweeters). I also have experienced the L100T and found them fairly well balanced and nuetral. The midrange does lack some realism magic especially on vocals but so do other highly touted speakers. In short, I am a little late to the game in regards to the JBL, but as a mainstream maker I am impressed. And that doesn't even take into account their 4xxx studio monitors which are highly regarded. Back me up jbl fans!
128x128phasecorrect
Wolf_garcia, don't know which JBL monitors you had in your studio but I remember the shitty 70's solid state electronics well it was all boom & tizz. There's no shortage of crappy recordings from the 70's as a reminder of the period and I've come across so many blown studio speakers poorly re-coned that I've lost count.

Mattmiller, as a long time dealer and distributor of ultra high end audio equipment, speakers and tts my specialty, I can guarantee you that nothing I heard made today at any price can match some of the qualities of vintage JBL! I have and had many JBL models from the Hartsfields to the Paragon to several 43xx models, the first Everest and all the way up to the M9500, they're in a class of their own, imo matched and better only by some very rare WE and Klangfilm horns or early Tannoys and Vitavox corner horns.

david

david
Similiar to planar speakers..."they have no bass!"...once a speaker gets a bad reputation, its hard to shake...and the same applies to JBL...ironically they supply most of movie house sound systems....and nobody has complaints with that!...On the budget side...I feel JBL became noticeablely smoother and refined in the 90s era...possibly Harmons deep pockets, the dawn of computer analysis, or both...but this somewhat forgotten era produced some gems...on par or better than highly touted value driven products from psb, paradigm, or even the current best buy Pioneer speakers...FWIW...jbl continued to make speakers in the Usa well into the end of the decade
mattmiller, I do not know if you are aware of the new JBL Everest DD-67000 speakers, research them please, they are considered one of the BEST speakers in the world for home audio, go and listen to them too, you will have a total new out look on JBL, These speakers retail for $75,000.00!
Back in the 70's, I bought a pair of JBL 001s in the Olympus enclosures (with the wooden fretwork grilles). I loved the sound but each one was the size of an entertainment center. I sold them in the 80's for half of what I paid for them and the buyer bought them without even hearing them. I still regret ever letting them go.
JBL has been in business for over sixty years. They must be doing something right.