Getting into Tube Equipment

Hey there,

I have been gradually getting into vinyl and hi-fi for a while now. I mostly listen to folk, country, and some bluesy-rock music. Examples include the Grateful Dead, Sturgill Simpson, John Denver, and the Tedeschi Trucks Band.

I have been forward thinking about audio equipment I would like to have in the future. The components I am most eager to upgrade are my amp and phono preamp. For the amp, I am very interested in one of the Dynaco clones people are selling like the ST-70, ST-120 or the M-125 by Bob Latino. However, my first order of business will have to be getting a phono preamp with a volume control because these amps do not have a volume control. I would like to preface, I am not independently wealthy and do not expect to be in my life. Therefore, a $12,000 stereo setup does not seem like a reasonable option for me.

Can anyone please give me direction on either getting a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS or a used EAR 834P?

Additionally, If I could get some direction on an amp, it would be useful. Right now I own the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers and I really love them. The only thing I can see upgrading to is a pair of used Harbeth Super hl5plus speakers but this would be in the more distant future. Based on what I currently have and will be using for awhile, as well as my future considerations, are any of the amps I am considering a best fit? 

-Thomas
128x128captainblackleg
I will second the top marks review on the Pro-Ject DS2.  For me it's Rega P3 into the Pro-Ject and then into tube pre-amp/headphone amp and power amp.  (I use DecWare CSP3 for phones/pre, and Line Magnetic 218 for power).  Love this rig.  Only gripe is the single speed of the P3 so I can't play 45s. Maybe have to upgrade to the external power supply... https://www.stevenzeller.com/stereo/2 https://www.stevenzeller.com/stereo/3
@atmasphere "I’ve never heard that sort of sound from any Dyna!"

Given you keep active on this site, it surprises me to hear that. It’s become the preponderant current criticism. Someone just made that statement here on Audiogon in the past week.

I do agree an EL34 tubed amplifier veers toward the more engaging side. Still, though I prefer more of a flesh and blood sound than a lot of modern amplifiers provide, with the carbon composition resistors, I still find it too lush.

Interestingly enough, the guitar industry has gone in the other direction. The massive swell in the vintage and boutique amplifier market illustrates how those folks bought into the sound of days past. It’s grown large enough companies like Fender have introduced reissues of their mid-late 50’s amplifiers, and become their most profitable offerings. I made a friend near my home who makes a decent living giving the guitar crowd that sought after "tone". As we’ve talked a lot over the past decade, the route to produce that sound comes down to replacing the modern metal film and metal oxide resistors with the carbon comps of old. Of course, retro coupling caps don’t hurt, either.

The historic criticisms of the ST70 lie in response at the frequency extremes, particularly the low-end, and overall power. Oh, and the fact that folks found them ugly. The SET renaissance renders the lack of power no longer a concern. And as I’ve stated, the low-end comes down to implementation, mostly related to keeping costs down at the time. For an investment of less than $20, one can ST70 seriously dial up the slam, and produce bass no worse than any modern two output tube per channel amplifier.

We’ve landed on the same place with you replacing the 7199 and 6AN8 phase splitter / driver tubes with 12AU7. Replacing the pentode - triode with a double triode eliminates circuitry, and improves both operation and sonics (again, always moving toward the simplicity pointed by the SET example), with no detriment on any level. I actually prefer the 6SN7, but to keep the original overall landscape, the 12AU7 represents the best alternative. For those who want a completed amplifier along these lines, and don’t want to get involved with kits or having to keep a soldering iron handy, the Audio Van Alstine Ultraverve makes a good (and mostly correct) choice as a current ST70 implementation using the 12AX7. To bring some real elegance on the sonic and aesthetic fronts, the Jadis Orchestra / Orchestra Reference also use the 12AX7 in a Dynaco implementation, and more than provide that
Glad to see you're familiar with the VTA amps from Bob Latino.  I run their SP-13 preamp because their board is just small enough to allow their PH-12 phono board in the same chassis.  I have no place to work on something like that in my house, so had them make it up for me.  Cost me $1500 built, tested and shipped to my door.  The SP-13 uses the Aikido circuit.  I've had the opportunity to compare it a number of other preamps and it's a real winner.

The PH-12 phono board is dead silent and won't disappoint.
I own the Raven Integrated Reflection amp and absolutely love it.  I think an integrated tube amp with your budget will allow you to maximize your system.  Check out the Raven Audio website.  Call Dave Thompson on the phone and at least listen to him.  He has extremely beautiful sounding amplifiers and his entry level tube amps start at $3k.  For the money Tekton speakers are easily driven by the Raven amps.  I do not own Tekton but they sound great and are extremely affordable.  Add a music streamer / DAC and you have a great system for under $10k.