Mytek Brooklyn vs manhattan

Does anyone have experience w the two current (Brooklyn + or Manhattan 2) with tidal masters mqa? Looking to upgrade dac from bluesound node 2 but can’t assess whether Manhattan is 3 times better than Brooklyn. No dealers close by so I will have to buy direct. Thanks
emster
There's a dealer that advertises on Audiogon offering a 45-day trial period (and free shipping) on Mytek products. Here's a link to one such ad:

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8i867-new-mytek-brooklyn-dac-mqa-dac-head-amp-preamp-phono-free...

I've got no affiliation with this dealer, and I haven't taken 'em up on their offer, though I've certainly thought about it.

Just noting this FYI.

-- Howard

... And MQA is crap  coverd in sweet chocolate. So you are asking about 2 good DACs for the wrong reason! :)
Too bad you got two stupid answers to a great question.  I’d like to know this also.  

Well, the Brooklyn has a switching power supply.  The Manhattan has two separate fully linear power supplies with a massive amount of power supply capacitance.  Just this fact alone would tell me the Manhattan is a significantly superior DAC.  That being said, I'm not sure that it's worth $6k for this DAC since the DAC still uses op amp modules for its analog stages.  I suppose if you absolutely wanted to get full hi-res audio from Tidal, you will need an MQA DAC.  However, there are many other DACs on the market that I think would be better than the Manhattan and much cheaper that use discrete analog stages (and in some cases Class A analog stages).  Examples:

L.K.S. MH-DA004  ($1600)

Krell Vanguard DAC  (you can pick these up new-in-box for 40% off at $2700 now).

Denafrips various models (somewhere between $2k and $6k).

etc.

You can still play Tidal through a non-MQA DAC, but you're limited to 44.1kz or 48khz sampling.  In my opinion, if it was a decision between 96hz MQA or 48khz through a superior DAC, I would take superior DAC every single time.  MQA is a encoded wrapper that just contains the original 24/96 FLAC file data and enforces a restriction on sampling rate if it's not played through an MQA DAC.  To me, this is a marketing ploy to force you to buy a MQA DAC.  As a result, the MQA DACs can demand more money than they are actually worth.

I suppose MQA also serves as some sort of "copy protection" for Tidal when they stream down hi-res audio, as there are similar restrictions through HDMI/SACD type audio.