Give up on Thiel 3.6 or try another amp again ?

These speakers sound amazing sometimes, especially on small-scale, well recorded material (regardless of genre).

I tried a PS Audio HCA-2 and an Aragon 8002, neither of which sounded particularly good. I'm now driving them with a pair of 90 wpc Quicksilver mono tube amps. I know this is against conventional wisdom, but I like them more than the previous amps as long as I keep the volume moderate.

The problem is that the speakers don't open up and bloom as I turn them up for either large-scale classical or rock music, but rather get hard sounding. It could be the small room overloading, but I suspect it's the amps running out of steam.

Ideally, I would have an unlimited budget to power these speakers with a huge, clean solid state amp. Sadly, I have pretty much no budget at all, so I'd have to sell the Quicksilvers to finance a new amp. This would leave me with $1200 or so for a good, high current, high wattage amp.

I was thinking a used Parasound A21 might fit the bill, but there aren't a whole lot of other options in this price range that seem optimum.

Truthfully, I am starting to think it would more make sense to explore other used speaker options; as nice as the Thiels sound at times, they may simply be too impractical given my financial constraints. Perhaps a pair of Vandersteen 3A signatures or a new pair of 2ce Signature Mk. II? Perhaps the Gallo 3.1s?

What would you do if you were me?

btw, the rest of the system consists of a Quicksilver linestage and a Rega Saturn CD player. Thanks!
jonathan1257
I currently own 3.6's and also do not find them bright but very detailed and accurate. I drive mine with all conrad johnson electronics. My previous amp a cj2500a did a very good job of driving them. They run around 1500-1900 used so not sure you can stretch your budget that far.

I too initially used a 70wpc tubed amp a cj premier 11a. But just as you experienced it simply is not enough to get the thiels to sing. My cj premier 350(ss) on the other hand does a great job.

Have you considered or can you swing thiel 1.6's? Same sonic signiture but much smaller foot print and far easier to drive.

Chuck
Thiels are great speakers that are not only power hungry but also quality hungry of all upstream components. I loved my thiels run with Mark Levinson amplification and direct from the Audio Aero Capitole CDP (no preamp).

Based on your statements, room size, budget I think you will be better of switching speakers instead of trying to find the right amp within your budget for the existing Thiels. You may find that after you get a better amp for these speakers, you will then be forced to upgrade your source and cables.

Jonathon, the Thiels are not bright by themselves, but they will magnify synergy issues upstream that with lesser quality equipment. This will make many former owners of them (Thiels) believe the weekness was in the speakers (which of course it wasn't).

Why not figure out what you want in a pair of speakers, offer the rest of your components up and inquiry what will produce the desired results you are seeking.
This whole thread is kind of bumming me out. I have an HCA-2 and the 3.6's were next on my list. Two days ago I emailed jonbee who had reviewed the combo on Audio Asylum four years ago. Asked if he still stood by it. He no longer has either but still thinks they work well together.

So I'm gonna hope it's your room.
The thread should not bum anybody out if it helps them to become aware of synergy issues and upstream equipment importance. Perhaps those on a slightly lower budget should consider the Thiel 2.2s over the 3.6s. They require less power (lower budget) and are very close to the 3.6s in my opinion. Some people even say that the 2.2s were among the best of the Thiel speakers in terms of cost to performance. I would have to agree that there is a degree of truth to this. One can find the 2.2s at a real bargain (I sold a pair not too long ago for about $500, I don't recall exactly). I played these in a small room with nearfield lisening and loved these speakers (other speakers I have owned in the past year = Von Schweikert VR 4 JR, Totem Arro and Forrest, B&W, Wilson Duettes, Wilson Watt Puppies). Behind the Wilson's these lowly $500-600 Thiel 2.2 speakers were the best of the bunch (in that small room 14X14X8, nearfield listening, 125 watt Levinson amp).
Ckoffend- Not to worry. I'm a lot more open to advice than I let on in that post. It was just a strange coincidence that I have the HCA and had just started researching the 3.6's two days ago.

The even stranger coincidence is that I'm the guy that bought Jonathan1257's HCA-2! (Which I didn't know until just now) So now I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about...

I have CS1s and wanted to go bigger to fill my space, but maybe I should take another look at those 2.2's...