Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
@wayneuncle    i am no expert on subs but have had really  good results with the REL s/5 SHO.  if you get a sub,  try to get the dealer to come and set it up
Happy Friday Thiel Lovers

I just recently found this forum as I've been a longtime member on Audiogon.  I've read through the many pages the last couple of days and it is so wonderful to see the love for Thiel, the knowledge from current owners and the effort to try and improve the product.

I fell in love with Thiel about 14 years ago when I auditioned the 2.4's at a local Audio shop.
I was blessed to be able to afford a pair before my wife and I had kids :)

I've owned my current setup for a little over 11 years which I love tremendously.

Thiel 2.4's, MCS1 and SS2 in Silver and 4- Powerplanes 1.2.

My family and I are truly  blessed to have the system that we have.
This system has brought my family so much joy listening to music or watching movies together.

Quite a few years back I heard a pair of 3.7's at the Thiel facility and ever since I've dreamed of owning a pair(second hand of course).

So my dilema is do I upgrade the 2.4's to 2.4SE's as I can get the upgrade kit from Rob and be content with my current system or do I sell the 2.4's and the SS2( hopefully to someone who loves Thiel and appreciates the quality) and get a pair of 3.7's?

Thanks for your time.  

cheers 

Tomthiel, thankyou for your prompt and illuminating response.

Were the 3.5's eq's developed and/or built in house or contracted out?

Your recollections and future considerations of the CS 5's is most interesting. Perhaps my favorite Thiel model. If it weren't for the associated amplifier demands, I'd probably own a pair.

I've wondered why Jim used three 8" drivers rather than say a some combination of progressively larger bass drivers, and why he chose such a low impedance?

So my dilema is do I upgrade the 2.4's to 2.4SE's as I can get the upgrade kit from Rob and be content with my current system or do I sell the 2.4's and the SS2( hopefully to someone who loves Thiel and appreciates the quality) and get a pair of 3.7's?
The sonic part of the SE "kit" simply replaces the 13 uF polypropylene + 1 uF styrene bypass with a 14 uF Clarity SA and the 27 uF PP + 1 uF bypass with a 28 uF SA. Those are the coax feed caps and SA's were chosen by Jim Thiel and Gary Dayton as the best sounding circa 2008.

But there are better caps available now (eg Clarity CSA) and other passive parts (caps in other positions as well as resistors and coils) can also be upgraded. That is what Tom Thiel is working on. If all goes well, this "super" upgrade kit will be available from Rob Gillum by the end of the year. If you decide to keep the 2.4s I advise waiting for the more robust upgrade kit. "Just" upgrading the resistors made a very nice improvement on my SEs and I suspect the full upgrade will bring the SQ to the next tier.

That said, if you have the coin I recommend the CS3.7 which has better drivers and cabinet than the 2.4. And Tom Thiel might have an upgrade kit for those boards, too, although the time line is further out. I suspect a tricked out CS3.7 would be sonically competitive with some of the very best speakers out there.
Your recollections and future considerations of the CS 5's is most interesting. Perhaps my favorite Thiel model. If it weren't for the associated amplifier demands, I'd probably own a pair.

IMO, the ultimate Thiel would have the 5's sealed bass, the 3.7 coax, and Tom Thiel's optimized passive parts . . . and more amplifier friendly impedance. *That* could be a crazy good speaker!