Art Dudley Calls B.S. but without naming names - PLEASE DO!

Hey all,

As someone who hasn't been reading the audiophile press for all that long, I stumbled upon this article that I'm sure it lit up these airwaves when it was first published: https://www.stereophile.com/content/skin-deep

It's a great article and one that any knowledgeable person would most likely agree with, but hey, spending your own hard-earned (or inherited) money is a right and a privilege.  Art does call out some brands that he perceives to give great value:  AMVR, VPL, Conrad-Johnson, DeVore and Harbeth and Kimber and Peachtree and Quicksilver and Rega and Rogue and Spendor and Wavelength.  Shouldn't NAD be on this list?  

But what he doesn't do and I think is warranted, is name the companies that are most egregious in selling high-end products where the performance is far below the cost.  

I, for one, would love to see a list of those manufacturers from the people who read this forum.  You can group them by what they manufacture or just put them in order as you see fit.  I think it would be most helpful in calling b.s. but with "added-value", which is what this whole article was all about.  Right?

128x128lgoler
Glad to read the 3 way make up
i enjoy what all three of you have to say :-)
peace is underrated...
i also am blessed to own a 2nd place, but I view that as an asset allocation choice that in this case favors a family member with cancer - I don’t put myself into the conspicuous consumption group but my more frugal friends might question my sanity now and then....( as they should )

listen
build a network of dealers you trust
buy gear from companies that offer offer a product upgrade path: Aestheix, Ayre, Vandersteen come to mind, there are more...
stay away from gear your jeweler or chiropractor would prefer you own....

But and this is my opinion I have a massive MR-85 tuner ( the R = Reference ) that is decimated by a lowly MX-110

same expert master MC tech rebuilt them both at same time... on his bench they were at best equal....

there I said it....
@kosst.........the general public, like my sister, who enjoys music as much as myself, but she listens and enjoys music, through a Bose all in one table top system, and on her phone. The general public, I don’t think so. Just a handful here on the ’Gon think much of this as snake oil, you of course included. That was not the base of Art’s article, as he was talking to, and about, the " audio community ", not the general public, and that prices of equipment ( yes power cords and cables, too ), have gotten out of hand, and I concur ( btw, the general public does not read audio magazines ). Of my many audio buddies growing up, I was always the 1st one bringing home the expensive stuff, at that time. I was middle class, but found ways to purchase the equipment, and because I was in the business, I did get accommodation pricing from the manufacturers and rep firms, which always helped on new equipment, but mostly dabbled in the 2nd hand market. Maybe an upgraded power cord will enhance your system ? I know your F5 would appreciate it, how about you ? $ 30 from Hong Kong / China with free shipping for a 1 meter. Or a buy it / try it offer from the Cable Company ( many other sites as well ) Enjoy ! MrD.
No one yet has named a name.  It seems most reviews talk 'value' and products that 'punch above their weight' or 'you wont get better for X times the price'.  Well here here is one that punches below its weight: Triangle.  I have Triangle Speakers in their Magellan series.  They look ok and sound very good, but are poor value for money.  Also when I had a driver problem it took three emails to get a response to the effect that they were busy and would respond.  They never did.  Focal Sopras, Magico S1, and Canton K3 (all recent auditions that sound a good step up in quality).  Another disappointment was Anthem.  Their 225 amp had the specs but it was lifeless at low volume.  Mind you it was not expensive, so that was more a 'You get what you pay for' product.
DeVore a great value? Compared to what? Vandersteen? Magnepan? Tekton? I know that he wants to reward sponsors with good publicity, but it's a slippery slope and he lost me at Kimber.