Yanni or Laurel?

Is this why some reviewers/audiophiles hear differences others can't?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/05/dont-rest-on-your-laurels/560483/

I only hear Laurel and my wife only hears Yanni.  
ihor
It's funny how, on that NYTs link, that you have to move the slider 3/4 of the way towards "yannii", before it starts to sound like yanni.
It's funny how, on that NYTs link, that you have to move the slider 3/4 of the way towards "yannii", before it starts to sound like "yanni."
The real story here is if you can accept the fact that you hear one and someone else hears the other.  COOL!!
If you can't accept that you have issues.
I can concentrate and move the slider about 95% in other other direction (starting at the one given end) and still hear only the one starting word.

Ie, good discernment an separation skills.

It’s that thing that allows us to hear someone speaking in a crowd of 400 people. To hear the singular voice we are trying to hear, or to expand that to the 4 or 5 people in your group. Even when the ambient noise is only 3-4 db less, or even as high in overall level as the people you are speaking with.

Basically, we can slide our ’world’s finest’ (the human ear/brain) FFT analysis system controls and setting around, on the fly...and then the discernment is almost ’locked in’ and we do not hear the rest.

We, or more specifically.... our hearing is built for this.

So no small wonder some can’t hear something and the rest of the folks are throwing rocks about the given point about what is heard. Or vice versa.

It’s literally in your head, in any given direction. Once heard, it cannot be unheard, a thing we all tend to experience here.

SO EASE OFF ON THE FUSE THREAD ATTACKS, OK?

(are you reading this, fuse and cable detractors? You’ve just been handed the truth that the fuse fans -------are as real as it gets)

Just remember, 97% of the population is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNGFep6rncY

so, if we gave people chance to clearly and silently collate and sort themselves.... and I came back and somehow  looked..100% of the people to read this and see the video...100% of you would be crowded into a spot that in reality, only holds 3% of the general population. We would all give ourselves the condition of being in the 3%.

That's the irony of the human condition.