Help! My Magnepan tonearm finally needs to be rewired!

Hi gang,

I love this tonearm, but it has become quite noisy.  I believe it needs to be rewired.  Do any of you know of a business (or individual) who can do this for me?  I hate to give up the arm -- it's otherwise really good, and in good condition.

Thanks!!

gregbackstrom
I am having a problem with my unitrac also. I hear static if i move the tonearm across the album for another song. Once I hear the static and drop the needle I lose one channel or it is still there but very faint your ear has to be on it the speaker. It seems like about second song in to about the next to last song and then the channel comes back. I have read they don't make 44 gauge Lintz wire anymore but what about this link. I have found others also. Has anyone rewired one before or have a step by step procedure?

http://mwswire.com/specialty-wire/litz-wire/
Before taking steps to rewire, I would reconnect the ground wire and check if tight to chassis. 

An employee of mine worked at Magnaplanar. According to him, there is a burr in the arm tube where the wires have to make an angle to go through the bearing area. Sooner or later the burr damages the wire- in short (no pun intended) they all do something like this sooner or later.

IMO its a bit more work than just replacing the wire- the arm should be disassembled and the burr removed first.