Vandersteen 2CE Signature Speakers

Hello.  I recently auditioned a used pair of Vandersteen 2CE Signature speakers. I found them to be amazing for jazz (lots of detail, great imaging) - really everything I read about on how these speakers sound.  However, upon listening to classical (full orchestral recordings of Mahler symphonies and Strauss tone poems), I found them to be boxy, dull and closed (quite the opposite from the jazz recordings).

Is this normal?  Why would this happen?  What can be done to fix this? I would like to buy them. 

Thanks
128x128cspiegs
Thanks Tom.  Set up is critical for all speakers, but often times even a dealer isn't set up properly as they move things around so much.  Once set, you can forget it and ENJOY great speakers that will play anything well. ;)
Teh headphone and IEM world is all about getting multiple top can's/CIEM's for different music.  I just shake my head.  Everyone is so concerned about matching cables to 'tune' their system.  Again, just get a great cable that is natural (this is why I love the Audioquest line).  If you have the right components you will hear THEM!  If you need to tune things, then go get the right components first.  Any designer will tell you that, even teh cable guys.  Just logic to me.
Accused Vandersteen fanboy and advocate weighing in, I own and enjoy 3 different pairs
but i also own and enjoy planars and horns...
The demo you got included some great gear
always have to wonder on setup but let’s assume any competent Vandersteen owner read the awesome instructions and followed them - so we could fault the recording- but assuming you brought or listened to references you know well ?
so I like the not your cup of tea approach...
have fun
enjoy the search and the music !!!!!!!!
Never an accused fanboy but one the less. Believe me ( where have I heard that before?) Steens can and DO large scale classical. I owned and lived with a pair for 10 years, the last 4 in an impossible room/situation as three subsequent speakers confirmed. This speaker plays it all as all great designs must.There are other issues, time for an expert to chime in, Johnny R maybe?