Looking for a Giant Killer Digital cable

Hello all,

I’m looking for a Budget ‘Giant Killer’ RCA coaxial cable to connect my Oppo 203 to a DAC for music playback.

Can someone suggest something currently available in the $50 to $150 price range?

If however your experience says some new Optical cable in that range is as good or better, please, by all means do mention it as I could go either way of course!

A 1M to 1.5M will be sufficient.

Huge thanks!
blindjim
Regular S/PDIF COAX digital cable is actually not a bad system, though using BNC connectors is best. Only a true i2s digital connection is better because the DAC/source does not have to encode the stereo digital signals into a single wire signal. That is the S/PDIF method.

Keep in mind that i2s connections will typically use an HDMI cable. This does not mean it’s an HDMI interface. It just uses the cable/connectors as the physical medium for transmitting the i2s signals (which are completely different from normal HDMI audio/video).

I2S is not necessarily a panacea either, although its a good start.

Most of my products have I2S interfaces, both SE and differential (HDMI connector), so I know how they behave.

Galvanic isolation of I2S is a non-starter because it adds too much jitter. Because S/PDIF is a zero-crossing signal, at least it’s easy to add a high-quality pulse transformer and get isolation.

I have compare with my own DAC the difference between S/PDIF input (on BNC) to I2S input (on RJ-45). The difference is actually really small, almost audibly undetectable. This is partly because I use a AK4114 receiver, which reduces S/PDIF jitter significantly.

As for differential I2S, the problem there IMO is the LVDS driver and receiver that add jitter. I think the SE I2S on RJ-45 is better.

The other advantage of S/PDIF over I2S is that a world-class cable for SPDIF is a lot less expensive than a world-class cable for I2S.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

“For my concerns, organics are key. Thereafter, imaging. Is the note being propelled more by the steel strings of the banjo or guitar and the resonance of the instrument itself? Is the sound of brass all about its leading edge demonstration or is the timber of its notes honest and musical? Is there note development and decay? Does it simply feel right sounding or off, or exaggerated??”

blindjim,

“Organic” is a word I would use to describe the sound of the Cerious GE digital cable. From my experience with it, I would answer all these questions positively.

Hi All,

Sorry to be late in responding. I certainly don't want to represent myself as an expert regarding digital cables, but I have used for long periods of time 5 different brands, and when I bought the Cerious Graphene Extreme, I  just felt that it had everything I was looking for with no negatives (for me).

I think that it is dynamic, smooth, detailed in a natural way, excellent focus and very good at revealing timbre. That's about it. 

Thank you @roxy54 , that checks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned.
detailed in a natural way is what many other cables are missing.